Thoughts from the collective - Super Redhawk

RoninPA

Thoughts from the collective - Super Redhawk

Post by RoninPA »

Need some of y'alls thoughts on a 9 1/2" Super Redhawk.

His ad:
.44Mag, with rings, less than 100 rnds through it. With over 400 reloads 240 JHP with 24 gr. 2400 powder; 250 Nosler 240gr JSP unopened box; 2 boxes Hornady XTP 240gr 100 ea.; plus box of 240gr JHP loose (at least 100). A few empty cases. One lb. powder (Unique). Lee 3 piece carbide dies. Doskocil hard case. Bushnell Halo sight. $1500 for everything.

I got him to text me pictures and other info. The s/n dates it to 1989, it's shown with Hogue Monogrip (black rubber), the Halo sight is an older one so I don't think it adds a whole lot. According to the seller, no box or paperwork. Yeah, 400+ loaded rounds, but that 24 grs of 2400 is quite a bit hotter than what I see in my Hornady #10 (even for a T/C) so I'd probably pull the bullets and start over if I bought the whole package.

He did say he'd split it up (gun/rings/Halo sight and everything else).

This would be a face to face transaction with both of us traveling about 100 miles to meet up.

Dealer pricing is under $900 for a NIB (Davidsons and Lipseys are both $889 but of course neither has any.)

I am leaning towards offering him $800 for gun and sight. I really wanted a 7 1/2" model and I still do need to peruse GB also. I want to add a Super Redhawk and then I'll have at least one of each of all the Ruger double action revolvers (aha, another possible display :D )
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
Charlie1022

Re: Thoughts from the collective - Super Redhawk

Post by Charlie1022 »

Wow, 24 grains of 2400 sounds on the hot side. I use 21.5 grains of 2400 in mine. I have a 30 mm Ultra dot on mine and have covered 6 shots with a quarter at 50 yards. Rugers are built tough but I would check it out close.
Charlie1022
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

Ron check out Guns International. I have seen several Super Redhawks there, but I don't know the cost??? We have a link to them on our home page.
Vince
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Thanks Charlie and Vince. I think I'm going to pass on this one for right now. The reloads he described are not conducive to good reloading practices. The load he shows is 20%+ over the max loads I'm seeing in my manuals. Yes, he might take very good care of his guns but with those loads?? Also, I need to do some more research, I thought that that year of manufacture would have the grips with the inserts not the finger groove Hogues. Then add in a 200 mile round trip (that's 12-14 gals of gas).
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

Ron, I sold one of the 7 1/2" (no box or accessories) a couple of months ago for $800. Wish I knew you were looking.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Bennett,
It's been in the back of my mind for a little while and then I saw his ad on a PA gun forum I'm on so that sparked my interest again. I am not exactly hunting one HARD but if one pops up at a good price with the extras (or not if the price is real good) then I'll probably go after it. Otherwise, I'll be looking at the OGCA show in July.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
Mohavesam

Post by Mohavesam »

I don't know how this turned out, but two shows inn march convinced me any (non-abused) Redhawk under $1000 is worth a look. And a SRH under 1200-ish is not out of line... Prices ever go down?

That said, the loads above may mean a pass to me. It's just a machine. Fools can break machines.
8-)
:o It is a Right, NOT a permit.
Political Correctness = Political Submission :oops: