Plum color

Ruger8r

Plum color

Post by Ruger8r »

I've noticed that some refer to their Ruger metal as "turning plum". Does the plum effect increase over time or is it set when the gun is blued? I suspect it's the latter.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
RoninPA

Re: Plum color

Post by RoninPA »

The way it was explained to me is that the plum color and the "lightening bolts/streaks was caused by the bluing solution and the metallurgy of the steel being used (at that time). I was told that it did not happen at the time of the bluing but happened/happens over time and gets "richer" as time goes on.

I have a 1969 Blackhawk, OM, Unconverted, a little turn line, that the loading gate, cylinder and frame are turning a gorgeous plum color and several ROCS members (one in particular from NC) said they wanted it. But Mama (my wife Jackie) flat said "It ain't going NOWHERE" :D It's on display in my shop right now.

This picture is when I first got it. The grips have been replace with the correct walnut grips
20151226_102944_zpsguwllnqc[1].jpg
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

RoninPA wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:38 am The way it was explained to me is that the plum color and the "lightening bolts/streaks was caused by the bluing solution and the metallurgy of the steel being used (at that time). I was told that it did not happen at the time of the bluing but happened/happens over time and gets "richer" as time goes on.
20151226_102944_zpsguwllnqc[1].jpg
I believe Ron is correct.
I had Bobby Tyler restore a RSS for me and the plum was "covered" by the reblue , but the plum has bled back through.
Posted these pics before in the SA thread.
Elapsed time from reblue to 2nd pic was 2 1/2 years.
Attachments
SAM146.jpg
SAM146.jpg (134.52 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
SAM_1346.JPG
SAM_1346.JPG (51.32 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Ron and Jaydog, both those are "plum pretty". I agree with what you stated Ron. I sure love those plum Rugers!!
Bill
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Thanks for the informative posts. I can think of nothing more quintessentially Ruger than that plum color. I should pull my plum sixes out and watch them turn. Always looking for the plum. There was a gorgeous plum Single Six in AZ on GB a couple of years ago that looked specially assembled with all screw heads showing machine lnes and a flawless finish, NIB. Alas, they wouldn't ship to CA.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
JussBad

Post by JussBad »

Plum? ;) Actually this was a very well worn Blue Lightweight. Took it apart and had the frame Anodized the plum color and blued the other parts... Many years ago I purchased a new/never fitted aluminum cylinder and had it clear anodized. Put it together with a tri-color cylinder and a blue steel cylinder. Real Ivory on a nickel plated GF. Makes for a Unique Shooter.
Attachments
thumbnail (2).jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg (28.56 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
thumbnail (9).jpg
thumbnail (9).jpg (28.67 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
thumbnail (4).jpg
thumbnail (4).jpg (31.07 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
thumbnail (5).jpg
thumbnail (5).jpg (26.61 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Wohoo, that's a party! Outstanding, JussBad.
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

WOW Jussbad, that's a great looking FG Six. All of the revolvers in this thread are real beauties.
FT44
Brass Frame

Post by Brass Frame »

Great looking shooter Jussbad! I have a couple BKH-3s that just jump out with the plum color. Good job Gary. Brass Frame/Lee
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Very cool.
I like the look.

Cheers,
Jay
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker