250 Savage

Grizzly

250 Savage

Post by Grizzly »

Any one know, did Ruger ever stamp barrels 250/3000 or were they all stamped 250 Savage?
Ruger8r

Re: 250 Savage

Post by Ruger8r »

Grizzly, there is a 77 RSI for sale on GB right now as a 250/3000. The box end is pictured with that caliber indicated but the barrel stamp is not clear. Here it is:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/859927193

Two, as it happens, this is on GI. Pricey.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101415279

Owen
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
SteveRuger

Post by SteveRuger »

Mine is stamped 250/3000.
Steve
GUN COLLECTORS.......Stewards of America's Firearms Heritage!
God Bless Our Troops, Especially Our Snipers!
Mohavesam

Post by Mohavesam »

My two (one remaining in my hands) RSI rifles are both stamped "250 Savage" on the barrel.

Question: might the difference in stamping indicate a different twist? In that '250/3000' might actually be a differing twist intended for the shorter/lighter bullets of the day, that would achieve 3000 fps? :?:

Savage itself used 10" to 14" twist rates, and even changed from a square-cut groove to a pointed 'V' shaped groove in their guns chambered in 250/3000.
Ruger catalogs, for the sake of simplification in print (cost), specified only one twist rate (10") for all guns so-chambered, possibly misleading in itself.

:roll: Stranger things have been shipped from Ruger docks...
:o It is a Right, NOT a permit.
Political Correctness = Political Submission :oops:
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Mine is marked 250 Savage. No box.
Love those quarter-bore RSIs.
Is there a simple way to determine the twist rate?
O
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

From the interwebz:

To measure twist rate:
Put a dry, loose fitting patch (so it doesn’t get stuck in your barrel) on a jag and put your rod into your barrel from either the muzzle end or the chamber end. (Note: When putting a rod into the muzzle end, be careful not to damage the crown/muzzle).

Move the rod back and forth to verify that the rod spins freely as the rifling turns the rod.

With the rod in the barrel, make a mark on the rod with a Sharpie at the point where the rod enters the muzzle or the action.

Near the handle of the rod place a piece of tape on the top of the rod. Push the rod into the barrel.

You will see the piece of tape travel one full revolution as the rifling turns the rod.

When the tape is back to the top make another mark with your Sharpie on the rod where the rod enters the muzzle or the action.

Pull the rod out of the barrel and measure the distance between the two Sharpie marks.

If the distance is 12 inches, you have a 1:12” twist barrel. If the distance is 8 inches, you have a 1:8” twist barrel, and so on. For best results, repeat this process two or three times. Example if not an exact measurement: If you find the measurement is 9.2 inches or 9.8 inches, you should be able to shoot any bullets that are recommended for a 1:10” twist. But a bullet for a 1:9 twist may not work as good.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
chet15

Post by chet15 »

I would be curious to know the serial number ranges of all those involved, so we can get a breakdown of maybe where the rollmark change was made.
A little over year ago we discovered that the original Number 1 rifles in .45-70 were only marked ".45-70" on the barrel. About the time the #3 came out the rollmark was changed to ".45-70 Govt."
Chet15
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

My #79-83280 RSI is marked .250 Savage and has the warning roll mark. It was produced in January 1985 and shipped in February 1985. Interestingly, the letter says chambered in .250/3000. The 10" twist rate rifling is very sharp and bright - I don't think It was ever fired.