Flat gate replaced

Ruger8r

Flat gate replaced

Post by Ruger8r »

I'm looking at a very nice OM single six, priced right, which has had the flat gate replaced with a round gate but not converted. Is the value significantly affected by that change? Are there any flat gates out there to buy? If so, should it be restored or left alone?
Thanks for your input.
O
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
flattop44

Re: Flat gate replaced

Post by flattop44 »

If you plan on shooting it very much I would leave it as is. If you are going to make it a safe queen I I would put it back to original. The round gate on it may be a Premeier gate, longer than the factory round gate. It has some value. I may have an extra Flatgate and if you are nm interested send me a PM.
Bill
Ruger8r

Re: Flat gate replaced

Post by Ruger8r »

So, I bought the gun. This excellent condition 1955 second owner sixer is wearing stag grips which they claim are factory. I know what you're going to say but there may be some provenance and the story, coming out of a small town GS, rings true. Plus I think I did OK on it.
The loading gate is not a Premier - I'll replace it.
I'll post pictures in the OM Six area later. This IS addicting. Could be a real find.
O
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector