Single Six in a Blackhawk box?

Ruger8r

Single Six in a Blackhawk box?

Post by Ruger8r »

Is it possible that the factory ever shipped an early Single Six in a yellow .357 Blackhawk box with Blackhawk manual by mistake circa 1960?
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
Ruger8r

Re: Single Six in a Blackhawk box?

Post by Ruger8r »

Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Would a letter (I still remember those) confirm it if it did? Much thanks for any insight.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

I imaging that it could have happened but never have heard of another one. They did ship some guns in other model boxes. For example, I have a Single-Six 9-1/2" convertible that was shipped in a Hawkeye box with a white sticker label on the catalog end of the box. They also shipped some early New Model guns in Old Model boxes but put a white label over the end of the box. I have a few of those too.

You could never get a letter validating the type box shipped in. Wondering, does the box have the gun's serial number on it? If so where?

Bill
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Thanks, Bill.
I have only seen the top of the hinged, yellow/black with red wreath box. It has the original buyers notes regarding the purchase written on it and the seller is calling it the original box. Interestingly, the notes say it was bought in 1958 but the SN dates it to 1960.
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

You say "HINGED" box ??? that type of box didn't come out until 1973. so something is wrong.
O M CRAZY
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Yep, OMC is right, I assumed that you were talking about a two-piece telescoping box old model 357s came in. Better check to see if it has had a safety kit conversion and if so make sure the original parts are with the gun.
Bill
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Here is the strange listing. I think the original owner made a mistake with the note on the wrong box. I almost went higher but not knowing about the transfer bar situation...
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/882596936
contender

Post by contender »

Well, that box is not the original box for sure.

And the gun looks very good,, but as noted,, what about the possibility of a safety transfer bar having been added,, or even a possible factory reblue???
(The box makes me wonder about all this.)

I was able to stumble upon a shooter grade RSS4X yesterday,, missing the Mag cylinder,, and with squashed chicken grips,, for under $275. Made me smile!
chet15

Post by chet15 »

Hope it letters as a convertible RSS4X. Is pretty early.
Chet15