Show Displays (Do's and Dont's)

Questions about the Ruger Collectors and Owners Society Inc.
Rugerologist

Show Displays (Do's and Dont's)

Post by Rugerologist »

Everyone,

I am curious to know what works and what doesn't in a show display? All the do's and don'ts from your personal experiences is what I seek. I've read the Display and Award Guidelines and looked through all of the exhibits shown here. After doing so I can tell that this can be a laborious and time-consuming project. I could see myself spending an enormous amount of time working on this because well.....that's just how I do things. From the design of the display, logistics of transporting collections, setting up, tear down etc. is a bit overwhelming for a first time exhibitor. I would be very interested to know what you all have learned over the years of doing this. Would some of you please share with me more detail about how you went about accomplishing this task? I ask because my wife surprised me this evening by stating that I should consider the possibility of a display of memorabilia and maybe another for firearms for the Tulsa show. No promises or anything but I am interested because of the proximity to home. I expect to attend at a minimum. Looking forward to your thoughts and experiences.

Kind Regards
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Coogs

Re: Show Displays (Do's and Dont's)

Post by Coogs »

IMHO, there are no dont's. You do what ya want, display how you want and what you want. It's not like it used to be. Back when I started displaying NEW Models, the only thing that WAS being displayed were OLD Models. Trust me, I was looked down upon. I stuck with it and assembled what eventually became a display that won Masters class. I guess you may say I was sort of a rebel, going against the grain of the OLD Model crowd. It didn't take long though for those OLD Model guys to realize that some of the NEW Models are as rare or rarer than what they were displaying st. Look at the NEW Model collectors out there today, lots of rare stuff. And with the advent of the net, a lot easier, than it used to be, to find, and find out about that stuff! Go for it. Build yourself up a display and take it on the road. You won't find a better crowd of people to be around than Ruger collectors. Lots of good times and memories. I got quite a few after 35+ years, Coogs.
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Thank you Coogs for that reply! Your experience is helpful.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Coogs

Post by Coogs »

I know that was kind of a general response as to why and what to display...............after some thoughts, there are some do's and dont's on HOW to display. Each individual collector has learned a lesson or two, I'm sure. Things such as wire tying a gun to a display peg, keeping items at arms length of the public, etc., etc. I remember a Bill Goodman show in the 80's out in Detroit. Detroit Light Guard Armory, Ron Inbody had a pretty rare Mark I or it may have been a Red Eagle stolen off a display board. Everybody then started tying guns down, if they weren't already. If you look back at any of my displays, from day one, I always had my stuff under glass. A pain as far as moving and setting up, but......I think you will find lots of advice about HOW to display, a lotta good people around here have been to more than one rodeo.............good luck and someday I hope to see your display! Coogs.
Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 »

Welcome aboard! Always good to hear from another collector who is interested in displaying anything RUGER! Like mentioned above there is no limit on what you display. The key thing I have found is to chose your title and then let your display explain it. Make sure to label the items displayed and are easy to read from like 6 feet away. I have always been kind of the black sheep in the group since I have always displayed 10/22's. That is what I like and find so interesting besides they are really fun to shoot! You do not have to have to display a lot of guns or items to make a great display. Just think of what you are wanting to display and show everyone what YOU like. I have been displaying since 1992 and have displayed at RCA and ROCS shows. Send me a message if you have any questions about building your display and I will offer any thoughts from what I have learned. You will also get to meet and talk to people who also know a lot about Rugers and share your knowledge and passion for them with others who come to see the displays. Displaying what you like also lets others know what you like and just might help you find something special you have been looking for for your collection that you may not have been able to find yet. Good luck and hope to see you at a show!
Charlie1022
Charlie1022
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

These were very helpful. Security of the display is something that concerns me greatly especially after reading Coogs reply. I have so many little items that I think I would need some more glass cases and probably a wall like construction behind the table itself for some larger items. Does anyone know what the table sizes are, dimensions of the display area itself, and if we would have access to electricity? It's very exciting to consider this possibility and to be able to meet you all. The tips are greatly appreciated!
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

If you haven't already I suggest you go to the EXHIBITS Forum and scroll through the various displays for some ideas. Specifically go to the "1st Annual OGCA Display Show" and find Tryone Phillips display of "Ruger Patches and Pins".

Also the "Ribbon" in the upper right hand at the top of the EXHIBITS page will take you to Judging Rules. Be sure to identify everything and make sure that your title fits your display.

Electricity is available at a pretty high cost. Lots of people are using battery powered LED lights, turntables, etc. and they work pretty good. Standard Tulsa display tables are 8' x 2'. There is not.much room behind the table to stand a cabinet. You can build a free standing display that stands on the floor and takes the place of the 8'x2' table. You can always rent multiple tables too.

Oh, meant to say that there is a bar with curtains that stands about 3 feet in front of that displays the separate public from the displays.

Hope this helps. Just keep asking questions, we have all been there and are subject happy to.help.

Bill
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Flattop that's outstanding information! Regarding Tyrone Phillips, is he a member here? If not, how might I get in touch with him? It appears that he already has most of the information on the patches and some other things I'm researching. Don gave me another very promising lead for that type of information but I haven't heard back from him yet. Thanks a bunch.
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

I just sent you a PM with Tyrone' contact info. Good luck.
FT44
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Flattop,

Thank you! Tyrone and I were on the phone for right at 3hrs last night and have been emailing back and forth for a bit. He's a great person and we are kindred spirits there is no doubt. I should have recorded the conversation, took a few notes. He's a treasure trove of information.
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber