WTB - Flatgate grips, manual, box, hangtag...

06dilly

WTB - Flatgate grips, manual, box, hangtag...

Post by 06dilly »

So I bought a beautiful flatgate,1955, Type 3 ( I think), SN 19xxx. But, it has replacement grips, the wrong manual and the wrong box. It also came with what I think are the conversion parts in a bag, fortunately it's unconverted. Also came with a stainless 22Mag cylinder! I know that has nothing to do with this gun but it was in the box, unannounced. Pretty funny.

Looking for any parts you may have for sale to help me make up a nice package. Original grips are my first priority but I'd be happy to hear about anything else that may have come with this one originally.

On the manual, which one should I be looking for? Is this the four choice one?

Thanks in advance for any followup!
TomD
JAYDAWG

Re: WTB - Flatgate grips, manual, box, hangtag...

Post by JAYDAWG »

Tom,
Since you found your RENE reference guides :D now you can look this one up and know for sure if it's a type 3 or not!
Also sent you a PM
JAYDAWG
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
06dilly

Post by 06dilly »

Great observation Jawdawg! Actually I'm about to get kicked out of the dining room because I have the Rene reference guides, plus John's guide, plus guns, plus the internet all over the table, trying to be sure.

- Serrated front sight, check
- Serrated ejector button, check

But, I'm guessing on if I have the "long-throw ejector housing". It seems that Short = Type 2 and Long = Type 3. Pretty sure mine is long as there's not much room for it to be even longer.

But yes, these guides are fantastic. Can not believe I laid them aside when I first signed up.

TomD
06dilly

Post by 06dilly »

Grips found! Thanks

TomD
JussBad

Post by JussBad »

4 choice manuals did not come along until 1956. You would be looking for the non dated Single-Six Manual and non catalog box like these. Which hang tag are you looking for?
Attachments
RSSTop.jpg
RSSTop.jpg (31.36 KiB) Viewed 660 times
RSSManual.jpg
RSSManual.jpg (24 KiB) Viewed 660 times
RSSEnd.jpg
RSSEnd.jpg (29.41 KiB) Viewed 660 times
RSSBox.jpg
RSSBox.jpg (29.88 KiB) Viewed 660 times
06dilly

Post by 06dilly »

Thanks Gary! In talking with Jaydawg yesterday I remembered that I have a three digit gun where I found the right box for it so I had a sample right in my gun room. I probably bought the box from you!

But, unfortunately this gun saga took a weird turn last night. I pulled the aftermarket grips off it to see if it had the "R" stamped on the frame. Surprise! I had not noticed, due to the grips it wore and my lack of paying attention, but someone had changed out the grip frame with an XR3-Red grip frame... So, now I have a gun that I'm not sure what I'll do with.

Fortunately the gun itself is in incredible condition with hardy a turn line and only a slight rub on the front left of the barrel. So as of today it wears correct XR3-Red black plastic grips that I had, which of course are all wrong but actually make it look near normal. As for all the missing pieces that the gun itself is worthy of, I'm going to pause on this project to see if it's worth what all it would take to make it original again.

Thanks much for your help though!
TomD
JussBad

Post by JussBad »

Tom
No problem and I understand. Keep in mind that I have many XR3 grip frames and correct grips in Hard Rubber, Stag, and Walnut available.
Gary
chet15

Post by chet15 »

It wasn't until 1958/1959 that the first thing that would be called a hang tag came with Ruger handguns, and that one didn't have a hole in it, it was a small card that advertised Anderol oil. Then in 1959 the first Single-Six hang tags were used, which spoke about the chrome molybdnenum frame.
Chet15
06dilly

Post by 06dilly »

Great information, thanks Chad! I had just seen one recently for the first time and thought maybe it would apply here. Good to know how they started.

Thanks!
TomD
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

chet15 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:16 am It wasn't until 1958/1959 that the first thing that would be called a hang tag came with Ruger handguns, and that one didn't have a hole in it, it was a small card that advertised Anderol oil. Then in 1959 the first Single-Six hang tags were used, which spoke about the chrome molybdnenum frame.
Chet15
Great info
Thanks Chad

Jay
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker