Ruger has taken over Marlin

Anything Ruger related.
Watertender

Ruger has taken over Marlin

Post by Watertender »

Just got a notice in my email saying that Ruger has purchased the Marlin assets from the Remington bankruptcy. I wonder what products will be offered from this taking over of Marlin? "Long Live the Lever Gun" was one of the things stressed in the announcement. Should be interesting.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
gunman42782

Re: Ruger has taken over Marlin

Post by gunman42782 »

As I am sure most of us here know, RL Wilson in his fabulous book, Ruger and His Guns, Bill Ruger had the chance to buy almost every one of the American gun companies at one time or another. He always decided against it. Now the company that bears his name buys Marlin. I hope they know what they are doing, and I wish them well.
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
Mohavesam

Post by Mohavesam »

Marlin and itsholdings are just an asset. There is no assurance at all that Ruger will or evens intends to build Marlin's rifles. Zero. If anyone knows what the boardroom minutes say, please come forward...

I maintain Ruger missed the boat when they failed to negotiate Ithaca and its designs. But they did not. A pal in engineering told me they still had a bad taste from the un-sustainably low return on investment of the break-open shotguns. And that studies showed they could not build a 37 pump with casting methods, etc.

If, and that's a big if, Ruger actually builds a Marlin design, they will use the updated Remington drawings and technology.
I'm betting my lunch money that most design rights on leverguns would be sold or bid to Henry and Winchester/Browning. They all have real manufacturing experience (success) with lever guns. Henry made its initial fortunes on the Ithaca 72 design, and they have adapted n updated existing designs ever since. Browning/Miroku builds very successful levers, so I do have hope.
Rossi/Taurus may get involved, but I don't put them in the same league.

We shall observe, assess, and ultimately have a decsionto make. 8-)
:o It is a Right, NOT a permit.
Political Correctness = Political Submission :oops:
gunman42782

Post by gunman42782 »

Well, this sure sounds like they intend to actually make Marlins to me:

https://ruger.com/corporate/marlin.html
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
hittman

Post by hittman »

Agreed ..... quote from Ruger:

"The important thing for consumers, retailers and distributors to know at this point in time," continued Killoy, "is that the Marlin brand and its great products will live on. Long Live the Lever Gun."

I've never owned a lever gun but am thinking NOW is the time!
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Ya.....check this out!
Attachments
pix511328137.jpg
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Mohavesam

Post by Mohavesam »

Will Ruger begin using forgings? or adapt the Marlin receivers to investment castings?

I have no qualms about IC quality and capabilities (I have done quite a bit of metallurgical work) but a beefier cast 1894 or 39 receiver may cause me to shed a tear... :?

If these guns are built and marketed with Ruger's time-proven methods, in time, we shall see?
:o It is a Right, NOT a permit.
Political Correctness = Political Submission :oops: