TGW not what it used to be

Anything Ruger related.
zebra55

TGW not what it used to be

Post by zebra55 »

Thoght I better post a warning regarding Tyler Gun Works.
Started using Bobby Tyler (Tyler Gun Works) for customizing work on my number 1s about 5 years ago due to recommendations from the ROCS group. Started out great, first 2 guns were very nicely case colored and returned in about 8 weeks. You can find pictures of them in the single shot topics. I remeber getting continuous updates and personnal sevice from Bobby. Few months later sent him a new model vaquerro and it too came back perfect within similar time frame. Followed that with 3 more number 1's at the end ot 2018. as usual got a call discussing the projects. followed those 3 with 3 more now totaling 6 guns. Then nothing, no comunication. At about 1 1/2 year mark I happen to be lamenting the slow turn around of TGW with fellow ROCS member "Rowdy" who told me he had guns there for over 2 years. I instantly contacted Bobby and asked what was going on. He assurred me things were moving along and I actually got 1 of the 6 back a month or so after. Beautiful work as usual. At the 2 year mark. I contacted Bobby again asking if there was anything we needed to discuss to get the guns moving forward. He assured me that things were moving and he would get them the first thing in 2021. So, then I started doing monthly checks on progress, with lots of excuses and statements like got 2 in final check and shiping is bad so can't send them and on and on. Finally last November after contacting Turnbul and getting a 10 month guarentee turn around, I told Bobby to send them back finished or not. He called me just before Christmas and we had a long chat about the progress and he assured me he was personaly working on them and would have something back in a couple of weeks. The Last communiction Jan 24 he told me he had 4 done and would start on the last on as soon as he finished recovering from COVID. Great. last week I again contacted him and he was still down with COVID. I told him just pack all the guns up and send them back done or not. He got back with me letting me know they have been shipped and there would be no charge. Today I received the guns of which 4 of the 5 have not even been touched and the 5th one was partially finished and very bad case color which will need to be redone. I was in utter shock and disbelief that after 3 years and all that been told to me had been nothing but lies. Asked him today about what the heck, he said he was relaying info being told to him. Oh and by the way sorry for the inconvienence. I don't know what the truth is or what's going on, but the fact is 5 guns at TGW for over 3 years with no progress.
I see a full page ad in the ROCS digest for TGW which is disappointing. TGW has moved away from us small potatoe guys to obviously do things for the big manufacturers. So be it, glad they have gone big time, but don't BS the rest of us and ROCS should be careful to be associated with them....
Last edited by zebra55 on Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
RocDoc

Re: TGW not what it used to be

Post by RocDoc »

Sad to hear this
gunman42782

Post by gunman42782 »

I imagine TGW got real big, real quick. Probably can't keep up with the volume of work being done. I, too, am sorry to hear it. Bobby really seems like a good guy.
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
radicalrod

Post by radicalrod »

All I will say is I feel your pain ..... I see the ads too and wonder why they bother...my experience was the same....
Nice guy always says the right thing and nada.....YMMV...just for the record I like he him did what he said just not when he said....if this makes any sense.... I was pleased with the work just the time frame was molasses in January.
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

just sent my creedmoor conversions to Olsons gunsmithing out in Montana based on a recommendation from a friend. Dennis called me the night I contacted him and gave me good prices and 3 month turn around. I'll let you know how it turns out...
Supercub160WM

Post by Supercub160WM »

post the Montana guys contact info for us all. scott
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

Supercub160WM wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:25 pm post the Montana guys contact info for us all. scott
Once I get my guns back and see the quality and timing, I'll post pictures and information. Not wanting to recommend someone until he's proven...