Outdoor Life Article on Intro of M77

Anything Ruger related.
douglastwo

Post by douglastwo »

In 1968 Jack O'Connor wrote an article about the M77 rifle. Can anyone tell me what month it appeared in Outdoor Life 1968 magazine?
SPAS 15

Re: Outdoor Life Article on Intro of M77

Post by SPAS 15 »

Hi,

Found a reprint of what I think is the article available for sale at Cornell Publications but sample photo is too small to read the date.

Reprint is cheaper to buy than original magazine if you can find it. Hope this helps.

SPAS 15.

https://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/it ... em_id=3243
douglastwo

Post by douglastwo »

I found the same thing, it's a little less than $12 including shipping. But looking online I found every Outdoor Life Magazine for 1968, except for December. And some of the magazines were less than that. I just don't know what month contains the article. Be my luck it's December. Thanks for trying to help.
arcticruger

Post by arcticruger »

douglastwo wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:43 pm I found the same thing, it's a little less than $12 including shipping. But looking online I found every Outdoor Life Magazine for 1968, except for December. And some of the magazines were less than that. I just don't know what month contains the article. Be my luck it's December. Thanks for trying to help.
Although the month is not legible, looks like it has seven letters. So either January or October for the month I’m thinking. ;)
Piranha451

Post by Piranha451 »

I wasn't really doing anything else, so I went on a search. I eventually came across a site called Vintage Ads and Stuff. It has an Outdoor life section that lists the articles in each issue, which was a big help. The only one with the word Ruger in it is the September issue:

Departments - Angling (Pike: the Northland's "old reliable"), Archery (Where to hit your Deer), Boating (How to stretch your boating season), Camping (How to choose and use axes and saws), Dogs (Kennel-building basics), Salt Water (Pointers on fishing the shallows), Shooting (New Ruger bolt-action rifle), This Happened To Me, The Gist Of It, What's On Your Mind, Where To Go, Hunting Seasons, Shopping, What's New

Here is the direct link for 1968:
http://www.vintageadsandstuff.com/outdoorlife1968.html

Even if you do not purchase it from there, at least you now know which month to look for!
douglastwo

Post by douglastwo »

Thanks all. I've bought stuff from Vintage Ads before, I just didn't think about them. I do appreciate the help and link. If I display my 77's again, the magazine will look better opened on the display table than 7 sheets of paper.
douglastwo

Post by douglastwo »

Piranha I located the September 1968 Outdoor Life, it just arrived and sure enough it contains O'Connor's article. Very informative. Thanks again for everyones help.
chet15

Post by chet15 »

douglastwo wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:57 am Piranha I located the September 1968 Outdoor Life, it just arrived and sure enough it contains O'Connor's article. Very informative. Thanks again for everyones help.
As a sidenote, a very few of those early M77's were shipped with vertically split rings. I don't remember if the '68 article pictures one of those or not. O'Connor's subscription number was 20, so perhaps that is his #20 in the article.
Chet15
douglastwo

Post by douglastwo »

Chet15, here's page one of the article in the September 1968 issue of Outdoor Life. The wood looks nice and sure enough it has the vertical split rings.
1968 Ruger M77.jpg
chet15

Post by chet15 »

Oh yes. Very nice!
Chet15