Had an Ok day this morning

Anything Ruger related.
RoninPA

Had an Ok day this morning

Post by RoninPA »

A friend called a few days ago to see if I could help a lady dispose of the guns and such that her late husband had collected over the years. Went there this morning.

Lots of guns, ammo, reloading stuff. Got through everything and it was just too much for me to handle on a consignment basis and she wanted to get them sold as soon as possible. Referred her to an auctioneer who I know that does a lot of estate auctions with guns and gets good crowds. She is going to go this route because she is probably going to sell most of the stuff in the house including the house and acreage (7 wooded acres) and move to a smaller place. Took me about 3 hours to inventory the gun stuff and I might have missed some of it (she kept taking me different places and said, oh, here's some more (ammo, components, older reloading gear). Told her to tell me when the auction was and I'd let my customers know.

Well, there were 3 Rugers in the mix and I expressed interest in them and a few Ruger odds and ends. She told me to get what I wanted and she'd sell it all to me at a good price for helping her. When she gave me the price I said no, everything is worth more than that, but she insisted so I paid her. For $800 I got:

Security Six, blue, 2 3/4" barrel .357 mag 1980 model, very good to excellent

KP89DC, stainless, 9mm, 3-15 rnd mags, very good to excellent

BKH36, .357 Mag, 6 1/2", Flattop, s/n 38598 (1961), Micro rear sight, Alcoa XR3 grips (not much wear on the backstrap), UNCONVERTED. Have to go with good, some muzzle holster wear, turn line (not bad), unoriginal grips (too "fat" for my liking), pretty bad rust on one part of the cylinder, maybe 10-15% probably from how it was laying for who knows how long (it's soaking now then 0000 steel wool). Not sure what I'm going to do with it as It is my first flattop (trade material maybe :o )

Single Six .22 Mag cylinder in the red felt bag, very, very good condition, no turn line, no numbers on front, solid rear, 1.625" length (probably will go up for sale)

Jay Scott Grips, Model 61. Box reads: 61, Laminated Stag, Convertible Single Six, XR3 Red Frame, .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum and has the Guarantee certificate inside. Never mounted.(probably go up for sale or trade for original grips for the flattop)

You can see the owner liked to fill in the lettering on these guns, I'm not sure what I want to do with that or the easiest way to remove the color.

I also noticed that the sights on all three were all the way to the right. I figure it was the shooter, not the guns since all three, all different styles, were that way. I recentered them and will see what happens.

Oh, yeah, all the guns were loaded so I got the ammo too :)

Pretty good morning I'd say. I'll get pictures posted as soon as I can.
IMG_0173.JPG
IMG_0168.JPG
IMG_0177.JPG
Last edited by RoninPA on Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
arcticruger

Re: Had an Ok day this morning

Post by arcticruger »

Nice score, you got some good stuff there!
gunman42782

Post by gunman42782 »

One good turn deserves another! Congratulations on some fine Rugers!
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Some people could fall in a septic tank and come up with a Silver Dollar.. All I would come up with is the need to be steam cleaned and some new clothes... Congrats Ron!!!
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Fox Mike

Post by Fox Mike »

Holy smoke. Some guys have all the luck. I assume a kiss went along with the purchase. No additional explanation for that is required. :roll:
Frank
Retired: 67Z5M
NRA
Maryland Shall Issue
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

Congrats Ron, when you're having a bad day just remember this one.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.