Display setup questions

Anything Ruger related.
remcclellen

Display setup questions

Post by remcclellen »

This may be a long shot, but just testing the water. I would like to put together a show display for Ruger Bearcats. Alpha series. I have a few questions.

1). Using a tabletop standup display, what size range is recommended?
2). Does anyone have one they no longer use that could be repurposed to fit my needs?
3). Is there anyone out there who custom builds displays?
4) What other questions should I be asking
T.A. Workman

Re: Display setup questions

Post by T.A. Workman »

Welcome aboard!!
I'm sure the experts at setting up a display will be more than able to advise you.
Terry
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Happy that you have joined us. We sure would love to have you display with us at our ROCS Display shows. If you have not already done so, look at the various displays under the EXHIBITS button on our Homepage, that should give you some ideas. We really have a lot of fun!!

In an attempt to answer your questions:

1. One display table is 8' long x about 25" wide. Thus, a standup back board should be no longer than 8" unless you want to use more than
one table. Bearcats are pretty small so you can get a lot of them on one table.
2. I don't know of any available used displays, but someone here may know or speak up that they have one.
3. I do not know anyone who builds custom displays. We all build our own, actually part of the fun of it. They do not have to be fancy just
stable enough to meet your needs.
4. Just ask anything that comes to you mind about getting ready to display. We all had to do our first one. If you decide on displaying at a
particular show we will be glad to answer questions about table rent, the load in/setup times, headquarters hotel, etc.

I will be happy to try to help you out with any other questions. Just let me and/or us know how we can help.

Bill/FT44
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

FIRST - Welcome to the group of the finest Ruger owners anywhere.

The above info is a great way to start. My first display was in 2013 (IIRC) and I actually built a frame in peg board panel. I painted the frame black and covered the peg board with yellow felt that matched the Ruger yellow. I hung my revolvers (Six series DA's) from pegboard hooks the I put shrink tubing on as to not mark the revolvers.

I set it up and after the judging was done (I actually won the Novice class - I think I was the only Novice :D ) I asked the judges and other long time displayers to give me a critique and they all gave me honest replies on how to make it better. Well, that display is long gone and every time I am going to do a display I think about how it could be better/more appealing to those looking at it. The Tulsa show isn't until mid November but I already know what guns I am going to be showing and how I am going to title and am still deciding how I want the display to look.

My first mentor (and now a very good friend) was "Contender" and I tell others who are undecided about doing a display what he told me " Ron - JUST DO IT" I did it am glad I did. ALL the ROCS members will gladly answer any questions you may have, they will tell you what you did right and what might need to be improved upon. I am now in the Masters Class and do get asked to help judge displays at times and am always willing to explain why I gave someone a certain score.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
SteveRuger

Post by SteveRuger »

Building up a display is fun & a learning experience for everyone involved both the displayer & the viewing public. The judging rules are on the ROCS Exhibits area in the small box on the right side (Display and Awards Guidelines), use that to build up the display & as mentioned above view the other exhibits from different years there is some great displays to get some ideas from.
Good Luck but the most important thing is the have fun & enjoy your hobby.
Steve
GUN COLLECTORS.......Stewards of America's Firearms Heritage!
God Bless Our Troops, Especially Our Snipers!
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

I built my 1st display for the 2019 OGCA show and my 2nd for the 2022 show. It's an evolving process. My displays didn't look bad but the bearded tattooed fat guy next to them looks a little ragged... I think Contender used the wide-angle lens on me last month! Seriously just GO FOR IT!!! I have nothing rare or special to show but it all means something to me. I won by default this year but I ain't there for a prize. I go to see some of the greatest people on earth and visit with great friends. I am already tweaking my display hopefully for Huntsville in January of 2023.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...