A story that deserves retelling

Anything Ruger related.
Rickkling

A story that deserves retelling

Post by Rickkling »

Firstly, thank you to all on this site that have helped me by answering my endless bombardment of oddball questions. I’ve only been collecting seriously for a few years, and your help has been invaluable.
Here is the story: (bear with me)
A year or so ago, a red eagle was listed (I’ll leave the sellers name out, but a few off you might guess)
I immediately messaged him and we got the wheels in motion. Since he didn’t take c/c or pay pal, he INSISTED I send a personal check. I offered a money order, but he said he would prefer a personal check.
I sent the check out the next morning,(usps) and asked him to contact me when he received it. and two days later, my FFL called to say the gun was in, but he still didn’t have my check!
When I went to pick it up, there was a note with cash in it stating that when he got the gun out, it wasn’t in the same condition he remembered, so he was refunding some of my money. (Even though It was everything I expected)
So, now, I have his gun, and his cash, and he has no check yet. I contacted him everyday for a week asking if he had received my check, which he hadn’t, but he kept saying “I’m sure it’ll be here soon” . I was getting worried, so I put another check in a UPS next day letter and tracked it to him the next day.
The whole time, he never seemed worried. And kept reassuring me that it was o.k. I was worried, because he had trusted me to hold up my end of the bargain. A week or so later he finally got the original check!
The point is, in this day of online scams, this man trusted me, a person he did not know, and had never met. When I spoke to him on the phone during this, he never seemed concerned, and kept reassuring me that it would get there!
I have told this story to anyone who will listen, and will tell it until I die. To this man, thank you for showing me what trust really is, and I’m glad I did not fail you. And thanks to all on this site for helping me in my ruger addiction.
06dilly

Re: A story that deserves retelling

Post by 06dilly »

Thanks for sharing, Rick. That’s awesome. I could name a number of the veterans on here who would do that. Every interaction with them just leaves you with a good feeling. They don’t mind our “dumb” questions, they politely ignore our uneducated statements and they truly are nice humans. Love your story, thanks for the reminder!

TomD
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

This just speaks to the caliber of our members with full pun intended. As a whole this is a group with no "holes" and the greatest bunch of people you will ever meet. I am glad to be a member
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
gunman42782

Post by gunman42782 »

I have bought a few things on rugerforum.com, obviously from some of the same member here, with much the same results. I have sometimes received the item before they received my check. I ordered a set of grips one time and never got them. Through contact with the PO I discovered that they threw them in with a pile a stuff going to Amazon. Well, once that happens you are crap out of luck. I never said a word to the guy I bought them from, it was not his fault in any way. A week or so after I got them he contacted me to see how I liked them, and I told him what happened. He sent me a check for the original amount. Didn't even take postage out. I begged him not to do it, as it was in no way his fault, but he did. Some outstanding guys on both forums, and that's what sucks so bad when you get a scammer on there.
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member