ShopRuger breach

Anything Ruger related.
RoninPA

ShopRuger breach

Post by RoninPA »

For those that haven't heard, ShopRuger.com had a breach on one of the servers used by Freestyle Solutions who is a third party software vendor for ShopRuger and other companies. Malware was found and removed. It affected buyers from Sept 2020 to Feb 2022. I got my letter a couple days ago. The letter, now that I read it a couple times, confuses me even more. It is signed by Mr. Killoy but came from a place called IDX (no idea at this time who they are). BTW, it also affects other vendors, not just ShopRuger.

From my RugerForum.com posting:
OK, Just got off the phone with ShopRuger. The person I talked to DID CONFIRM that one of the servers was found with malware on it and it was cleaned up. So the letter basically is legit. However, I told her my concerns about the law office? suggesting that we can get protection by contacting this other place to get a years protection at no cost (but never letting us know what happens after the year is up.)

I expressed my concerns about the letter issuer not being from Ruger but from a law firm? and then said law firm is directing us to another place (which happens to be in CA - ) to sign up for the protection. I also commented that there was nothing published on the site (but I can see them not doing that so that people aren't scared off the site.)

She told me that she would pass on my concerns up the line because they have been getting calls about the breach and the letter and that Ruger management wants to know what people are thinking and how they are reacting to the situation.

So, now that I've read the letter AGAIN, it seems that Ruger is working with IDX, a data breach and recovery service company to assist in cleaning up this mess and to provide customers with a years worth of protection. What I don't know is what will happen at the end of that of that year. Will a person be prompted to continue on with the protect for a fee or what, I have no idea.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
RocDoc

Re: ShopRuger breach

Post by RocDoc »

No doubt will ask you to pay after your free year. They did not ask for payment info when I signed up, all you have to do is decline next year.
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

I had a site that I ordered from have a breach. They monitored my credit transactions for a year and had the companies that I have cards with issue me new ones with different numbers. I was called a couple of different times when I made large purchases. It worked out well for me.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Ron, received my letter today.
Bill