What are they made of?

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
Rickkling

What are they made of?

Post by Rickkling »

I named the post intentionally because I knew it would would pique everyone’s curiosity!
I am working on a “project” gun (mkII gov. Target) and want to mill a dovetail into the back of the bolt for a charging handle (the same ones used for the CZ parrot).
Now, before anyone replies chastising me for such a sacrilege as to modify a government target, it had been modified prior to my owning it so it seemed to be the best candidate for my build.
My question is, what is the bolt made of? Have they changed over the years, models, etc...? If so, I have MkIV, MKII and standard bolts that can be used in this project.
My gunsmith isn’t sure it can be milled due to hardness. If it can’t, tandemkross as a suitable charging handle, but once I get an idea in my head, I have to see it through or it will drive me nuts!
Thanks for listening and sorry to bait y’all with the subject line!

Watertender

Re: What are they made of?

Post by Watertender »

Try machining an extra bolt to see how it works for you. Many years ago I drilled and tapped the rear of a bolt on an RST4 and installed a 8/32 eyebolt in the center of the bolt to allow a 1 handed man to be able to use the pistol. He used a HKS loader to pull the magazine follower down to load it. I am glad I was able to help him
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...

Rickkling

Re: What are they made of?

Post by Rickkling »

The fact that you have drilled and tapped one gives me hope!
I have a “sacrificial” bolt for this stage of the project.
I’m taking it to my gunsmith buddy in the morning, so I’m keeping
My fingers crossed.
Thank you for the reply.
I’ll post an update once it done.