Cleaning regimen

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
Rickkling

Cleaning regimen

Post by Rickkling »

I have two questions (I can hear some of you now, “every time we get a new member,....questions, questions, questions.”)
I’m going to post them separately to avoid confusion.
Here is the first one:
What do you guys (and ladies?) do when you acquire a new collectible gun?
Do you strip ‘em to the bone and detail clean, blow the dust out, or somewhere in between?
Since I would like to start collecting instead of accumulating, the guns will/should need a different level of attention than, say, a more common collectible like a 50 th Anniv., government target, etc...
Until my most recent purchase, I had no problem treating all of my ruger 22’s the same. But surely y’all, the experts, have some advice for preserving the
More cherished of the great ruger pistols?
Thank you to all of you out there willing to help an old guy with a new “hobby”!
Rick
flattop44

Re: Cleaning regimen

Post by flattop44 »

Hey, never be afraid to ask questions, we all learn that way. I personally break them down and give them a through cleaning and a protective coating before putting them in the safe, etc. Always makes me feel much better knowing that they will be protected.
Bill
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

A question not asked is information not gained or information lost.

I'm like Bill, when I get a new gun for my collection, I first note it in my books (who, what, where, when, value, etc) then it gets taken apart, it could be to the main assemblies or even further is it needs it. Clean it up, oil where needed, wipe it down take a picture of it (to go with the other info) and put it in the safe. If done correctly, with the correct substances, I dare say you can hurt the value of a collectible firearm.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
theo98

Post by theo98 »

Rick,

Agree with both Bill and Ron! However, I perform a detailed inspection, through cleaning and function dry-fire test regiment with any New or Used firearm, not just the collectable ones! I want to know their exact condition, replace very worn/broken parts and be confident in their ability to put lead downrange!! :mrgreen:

Now my collectable 50' Red Eagle Ruger Pistol (rare type II) and my 53' Black Eagle T514 may never be shot by me, but all actions work perfectly and exteriors look great! My 53' Standard needed a lot of TLC and I did take it out and live function test...although a very nice and solid early Standard, it will be in my side-carry selections for outdoor activity Fun!! ;)

Ted
"FREEDOM Is Not FREE"!
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Rick,
As a recent newbie myself I can tell you the good folks here on the forum are very generous and helpful, so don't be afraid to ask a question or ten.....!
I also like to disassemble, hopefully not past my ability to "RE" assemble, clean and lube.
A couple mistakes I made were using a brass brush to vigorously, and using purple power cleaner on aluminum anodized parts, it removes the anodizing. :evil: Like Ron said don correctly, can't hurt 'em.
I wish I were as organized as Ron, I have forgotten who,where, when and $ paid on most on my collection. What a great idea!

Cheers,
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Rickkling

Post by Rickkling »

Thank you for the replies.
All of you!
I usually disassemble any used ruger I buy (it makes me feel like a firearm “superhero” to be able to put ‘em back together) and do a good cleaning.
I just wanted a more experienced perspective. The last thing I want is to break or damage something while cleaning.
I’m thankful that there are people willing to help me out.
Fair warning, I’m gonna keep some of y’all busy with questions!
Thanks again,
Rick
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

More questions....bring them on Rick!! ;))
Looking forward to meeting you at the AGCA in October.
Bill
rugerguy

Post by rugerguy »

Rick, welcome to the Forum and some good ideas above but I have to be the "anti" or the other side of the coin....after having owned 3 different gun shops, speciallizing in "service" we have found over the years all too often MORE harm and damage has been done by "over cleaning", improper use of tools, and putting things back together...wish I had a nickle for every gun that was brought to me in a pox or a sack, either at the shop and more often at a gun show,,,,,and I can tell, no matter how good you think you were careful, I can tell at a quick glance if even a brand new gun was apart and put back together.....so YES do a basic "break down": check for burrs, how its "fits, feels and functions" if it ain't broke, DON'T try and fix it......AND as often noted folks will tell you "how does it shoot"???
I know of OLD Red Eagle 22 RST from the late 40s and early 50s that are still used to today , and they have NEVER been taken apart...old timers taught me years ago, simple soak in kerosene, swab out the bore and lightly oil....practice and tinker on "other" old guns or broken guns....ha ha,,,even on OTHER peoples guns........good luck and use them as Mr Ruger intended for them to be used, just do NOT ride 'em hard and put 'em away wet.... 8-) :roll: ;)
Mohavesam

Post by Mohavesam »

I am certainly not a collector, but I do own some "collectable" guns, Ruger and otherwise. For me, I rely on direction I received more than forty years ago, from a Colt and Winchester collector (who owned and displayed over 500 REALLY nice guns including an Audobon Colt SAA and unfired 14" 1894 win.

Lube 'em and leave 'em alone.

With aerosol cleaners and oils/synthetics today, true collectable guns (those guns everyone tries to buy for years) disassembly risks damage. It also prevents one from ever selling it as "100% condition".

Insofar as top-condition modern handgun shooters, an ultrasonic cleaner gets your guns food-grade clean. Spray lubes return the protection and functionality in short order.
:o It is a Right, NOT a permit.
Political Correctness = Political Submission :oops: