P-85

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
d findley

P-85

Post by d findley »

Preliminary drawings from Ruger ad agency, Hawkeye Communications.
Attachments
9.jpg
44.jpg
gunman42782

Re: P-85

Post by gunman42782 »

The P series pistols are, without a doubt, the most under-rated pistols ever made. I have owned at least a dozen over the years, and can't recall a single time any of them ever jammed. I have a P95 that has had probably 10K rounds through it. Still looks brand new, still shoots to POA, and still never jams. I have a P97 that was bought used and has had thousands of rounds through it since. Same story. Wife has a P89 that is the same story too, never jams. They may not be the prettiest gun Ruger ever made, but they are brute strong and tough.
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

Like the Firehawk name.
4-12-2

Post by 4-12-2 »

I keep thinking about one. Have nearly bought several on GB but have always let go as I'm not familiar enough with them to know which "safety variation" I want. I appreciate your statements, naturally they sort of flow with Ruger overall, rugged & reliable, but thanks for your affirmance.

Do you have a favorite across the varios safe options of no-safety, decocker, tradtional manual safety, etc.? Have you found any advantage to DAO?

I keep looking at P89's but, as I say, just not sure which way to go with the above and would sure appreciate any further thoughts.

Thanks a lot!

John
gunman42782

Post by gunman42782 »

4-12-2 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:28 pm I keep thinking about one. Have nearly bought several on GB but have always let go as I'm not familiar enough with them to know which "safety variation" I want. I appreciate your statements, naturally they sort of flow with Ruger overall, rugged & reliable, but thanks for your affirmance.

Do you have a favorite across the varios safe options of no-safety, decocker, tradtional manual safety, etc.? Have you found any advantage to DAO?

I keep looking at P89's but, as I say, just not sure which way to go with the above and would sure appreciate any further thoughts.

Thanks a lot!

John
Well, John, as with all things it's a matter of personal preference. I prefer the decock-only model, but my wife likes the safety model. I see no reason for the safety, because with the hammer down I either have a long heavy DA trigger pull, or I have to cock the hammer. The wife still prefers the safety. I will say for sure there is no way I would want the DAO model. The DAO model was more or less "the answer" to police departments that were transitioning from DA revolvers to autoloader back in the 80s, early 90s. Long, heavy pull every time. And I am a DA revolver guy through and through, but it just doesn't feel the same with any DA autoloader I ever shot.
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
4-12-2

Post by 4-12-2 »

Ahhhh, I'd wondered about the DAO background and makes perfect sense. Almost surprising sold to public, but "that was then...."

Thanks very much for your reply and info!

John
contender

Post by contender »

The P-85 was a very under-rated handgun. Built for the potential military contract,, and it is a tank of a gun.
I know a guy who has well over 50,000 rounds through his. Only thing it's ever needed was a mag release spring. (There are (2) of them, and the gun kept working just fine.)
I own a pair of them myself. Fine handguns!
my3swedes

Post by my3swedes »

Wow! Great find. Thanks for sharing.