Early Red Eagle magazines

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
contender

Early Red Eagle magazines

Post by contender »

Over on the Ruger Forum,, a guy (EVILDOCTOR) posted some questions about having a couple of magazines that would not fit into a Std Auto, or later guns.
His questions centered around the idea they were prototypes or maybe counterfeit mags.

He offered to send one to Dan to get his opinion. And he also offered to send me one. He did.

I got it, studied it, felt by appearances,, it was a legit factory mag. Next, I took out a early Red Eagle Std, (serial 29xx) and his mag slipped right in, no problems. Next, I took out a 5 digit Red Eagle (17xxx) and it would NOT fit. I then took his mag, laid it aside, and tried to swap my mags around. My 4 digit mag stopped from seating in my 5 digit gun, doing the same thing that he had experienced. Yet, my 5 digit gun mag slipped into my 4 digit gun.

Hmmm!

I started studying the mags under a magnifier, and using calipers to measure various dimensions.

I could not find any differences in specs. I even disassembled each magazine, (all 3) to measure things. The only differences I found in measurements was the length of the heel of the follower. Yet,, it was so small, and different on all 3 that it wasn't considered significant. And in all my studying,, the only difference I could see was the mag he sent me, the follower button sat "flat" while my other (2) Red Eagle mags had the top of the button canted outwards a little.

Studying Chad's book on the Semi's, as well as checking Don's book, I was only able to see that there were some internal changes to the very early guns in regards to the bolt & firing pin. (We know about those.) It made me wonder if there is some minor differences in the internal dimensions, somewhere in the frames.

Next,, I also did some disassembly & swapping around of the followers, in my guns & mag bodies. In one case,, I had a sticking & fail to seat mag, removed it, tried it again, and it wen tin as it should.
Once all the original parts were properly joined again, I re-tested things. And the same issue of his mag not seating except in my early Red Eagle, and not working in later guns was still there.

So, I figured I'd throw things out here to see what anybody else might have to offer.

Evildoctor asked me to publish what I found on the Forum. I made a separate post,, but the owner of the Forum, buried it in the OP that EvilDoctor made & nobody has responded, or heck, maybe not even seen. So, I'm reaching out here,, hoping to gather more insight.

Thoughts????? Comments????
radicalrod

Re: Early Red Eagle magazines

Post by radicalrod »

Well all I can say is the owner of the other forum sure likes to show people he is the owner :roll: :roll: :roll:
I know this has nothing to do with your question and didn't mean to clutter you post.....just had to vent.....the only forum I have ever been banned from.....actually a life time ban....

Sorry mods can erase this if you like I would understand.....RR
contender

Re: Early Red Eagle magazines

Post by contender »

No problem RR. I understand,, all too well!

I know you have a "few" early & later Red Eagles,, have you checked any of yours for this issue by chance?