Early Red Eagle

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
arcticruger

Re: Early Red Eagle

Post by arcticruger »

Rugerologist wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:20 pm Is that #500 or 600? Good score there. The box looks to be in great condition too!
Thank you! That would be #600. As for the box, the hinge is starting to split but is still somewhat intact, and there is a few oil stains inside. Otherwise the box is in pretty good shape. I’ll get more pics up soon.
arcticruger

Post by arcticruger »

rugerguy wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:04 am very nice early RST -4, you should clean off that congealed oil on the bolt, acetone on a Q-tip , or better yet just simply soak the whole gun , remover the grips, out in a pan of kerosene over night, brush it off, blow it off with an air hose... swab the bore......I've seen some early guns that folks NEVER even took them apart, just soak and blow it off , kerosene is an oil base so it actually lubes the inner workings....again NICE# gun. My wife has one in that range about 60 or 80 numbers higher........don;t break the firing pin, they are EACH hand fitted, and the factory will "maybe"?? (Ha Ha) replace the whole bolt,,,,so DO NOT.......... 8-) :roll: ;)
Thanks! I’ll be cleaning it here soon, appreciate the info. Been away for bit, but will be one of the first things I do when I get back.
arcticruger

Post by arcticruger »

chet15 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:50 am Great snag!!! And great serial number also!! Also see you got the box!
Was the original two page instruction manual with it as well??
Funny thing about those earliest Red Eagles, there are a lot of them that are in similar condition to yours or better. Seems a lot of people put the earliest examples away as safe queens.
Chet15
Thank you! Yep, it came with the original manual as well. Basically one page folded in half. Has an oil stain along the fold near the bottom. First one I’ve seen like it. Just a picture of the one pistol and no date. Pretty cool.
arcticruger

Post by arcticruger »

jowdurt wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:51 pm That is a nice early Version I. A factory letter would tell you when it shipped. Quite possibly a 1949 production. My earliest Version I is a first month of production in 1949.

Congrats
Thanks! Finally got home today and the factory letter was there waiting for me. It was produced and shipped in October 1949 (all the letters I’ve received only list month/year, no day). Still, glad to get whatever info I can get. ;)
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

Great addition to your collection, thanks for sharing with us. Goes to show patience and perseverance and knowing what your looking for pays off in spades sometimes, enjoy it.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
Supercub160WM

Post by Supercub160WM »

Jim, I see your enjoying that red eagle way to much. it warms my heart for two reasons. one. you love it! two. its staying in Alaska!!!. im glad your happy, I knew i sold it to cheap. again, congrats from your fellow Alaskan. and "welcome to the 1949 club" Scott
arcticruger

Post by arcticruger »

Scott, yes I am, and yes I do! :)

Thanks for reaching out to me with this magnificent Ruger. Acquiring this 3-digit was more than I ever expected. It’s the pinnacle of my collection and I will always cherish it.
Last edited by arcticruger on Fri May 20, 2022 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
chet15

Post by chet15 »

arcticruger wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:05 am Thanks! Finally got home today and the factory letter was there waiting for me. It was produced and shipped in October 1949 (all the letters I’ve received only list month/year, no day). Still, glad to get whatever info I can get. ;)
Hmmm... I'll have to check when I get home to see if it lists as being shipped via Railway Express in John Dougan's "Vintage Years" book.
It is believed that a very few of the earliest shipped guns were shipped without the hinged box, so yours may be one of the first to get the cardboard.
I take it that the box has the #500 written I pencil on the end?
Chet15
arcticruger

Post by arcticruger »

chet15 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:23 pm Hmmm... I'll have to check when I get home to see if it lists as being shipped via Railway Express in John Dougan's "Vintage Years" book.
It is believed that a very few of the earliest shipped guns were shipped without the hinged box, so yours may be one of the first to get the cardboard.
I take it that the box has the #500 written I pencil on the end?
Chet15
The serial is #600, and there is nothing written on the box. It is a hinged box.

That would be awesome! It would be nice to know if it was shipped with the cod box or not as it did not come with one.

67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

According to John's book, it shows 599 & 601 as being salt cod boxed, 600 is not on the list so it was most likely delivered parcel post or given as a gift - good serial number.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.