Red eagle auction

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
Rickkling

Red eagle auction

Post by Rickkling »

Well, I’m sure some of you watched or bid on the auction on gunbroker for the red eagle Serial number 0286. I did. And it has sparked a question.
I bid early, then bumped up to 1050.00 by proxy.
As it quickly went up, I contemplated 1500, 2000, 2200 then 2500, but it was higher than that by the time I made up my mind. At one point when I was going back and forth on whether to bid 2200, my wife said “is it worth that”?
I had gotten caught up in the bidding, and I really wanted that in my young collection, so I had tunnel vision.
Now, knowing that something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, I have to ask, was it? Would any of y’all have put that into it? (It went for 2324 by the way)
I doubt I would have had buyers remorse for long, but it certainly would have been the most expensive in my collection.
Rick
arcticruger

Re: Red eagle auction

Post by arcticruger »

I was interested in that one as well, $1500 was my limit, hoping to get it for less. What I really wanted was that original magazine. I figured I’d sell the pistol and get most my money back. But it went way high, and I decided to kick back and watch the show. I know it’s an Oct 1949 3 digit (low serial), with good looking grips, orig bolt/ firing pin, original mag, but no box or manual. The finish is original and for the most part looks fine, but does have some minor wear and damage. Mines not perfect either ;)

Congratulations to the person that now owns it! That’s a nice piece of Ruger history! :)
jowdurt

Post by jowdurt »

I can remember watching a Red Eagle around serial number 145 run up to $2700+ a couple of years ago. Glad I passed on it. My Red Eagle 3XX, which is also an Oct 1949 production for way less than half that amount was the better deal. When I look through the Red Eagle News, these versions go for much less than that as reported by our group. On the other hand, I do know what it is like to have gun fever for a specific weapon.

SRV
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Here is how I look at it.
What will I miss more a year from now, the money or the gun?
Probably why I need to build a bigger vault! :lol:

Cheers,
Jaydawg
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Plus 100 on that JAYDAWG!! You would just waste that money on something else.
FT44
chet15

Post by chet15 »

Well, looks like the good early red eagles are finally getting their due!
It is about time!!
Chet15
radicalrod

Post by radicalrod »

Good news....I have a few 3 digit guns 1xx, 2xx, 3xx, 4xx x2, 5xx and a 6xx......0265 got me hooked
I also have 0059 in the stash that I found in Tulsa a few years ago thanks to Jerry :D a guy came up to him and asked if he was interested well he said no but go talk to the fat guy with the pony tail he likes them all :mrgreen:
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Dang Radical, now I know why I can't ever find one!! That 0059 fits well with others you have if I remember correctly.
Bill 😉
radicalrod

Post by radicalrod »

Well Bill I believe 0383 came from a guy who looked a lot like you :shock: :shock: :shock:
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

chet15 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:27 pm Well, looks like the good early red eagles are finally getting their due!
It is about time!!
Chet15
I bid to a point on the gun, but SN 480 lives here in it's flip top box, with the Hawkeye Girls and their RSSE guardians. Using my octogenarian's logic, "Why would't the 286th gun built by Ruger, in that pristine condition, be worth $2400?" We see much more paid for similar condition variants when they are in larger manufacturing runs..........Just sayin' Splitz 8-)