Single Six #415

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
johnc

Re: Single Six #415

Post by johnc »

i agree. i have a few i don't shoot, because i want to pass them on to my sons and grandkids with a written history of them. i have 30-30s i have my grandfathers passed on to me, model 12 shotgun, few others. my wish is to pass them on with their history as intact as possible. i have shooters enough, so i leave the oldies i have inherited alone. theres no guarantee at all they will appreciate them as i do, just a hope. thats my story and i'm sticking to it.
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

The letter of authenticity (they're back!) revealed nothing special. My understanding is that all service records were trashed when Ruger moved to Newport so that's not verifiable now.
From the 3 digits stamped on the cylinder it's pretty clear it was a factory refinish, and an early one (could it be the first one?). Having the original factory refinish paperwork would be cool but it is still a unique piece and value is so subjective. I, personally, like the polished look if it's done well.
I do believe that documented factory jobs are more acceptable to collectors. I'd love to have a factory refinished Pancho Villa 30-30.
Last edited by Ruger8r on Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
johnc

Post by johnc »

between 79 and 85 (when i was in the business in a very limited way) old 94s were coming across the border by the crap load. were nothing special back then. i know because an engraver was renting space from me in the shop and i found out an old guy was bringing across some of em with the US army incursion into mexico after Villa period correct ser #s. the engraver was engraving em full and partial and they were selling em as factory engraved. the old guys niece and him had a falling out and she told me what they were doing and i gave the engraver a very short time to get out. there were other time period 94s too of course but back then there just so many 94s in texas and mexico from all time periods they were easily had. the engraver had a mexican polisher/buffer come over once a week or so. when he actually didn't buff off a corner of one with a good stock i would have it blued and sell it i think for around $100, but they only sold around hunting season. wasn't interested in the beaters. my son has a wall hanger that the stock is about 50% shrunk, no blue at all, parts missing, and a very faded rack # painted on the stock that looks like an old fence post. i used to display it in the shop with a sign on it that read something like "the competitions finest" or some stupid thing. back in the 60s when i started hunting along the border in the marfa big bend area 9 out of 10 pickups had an old 94 in it. different world back then.
Cucinel

Post by Cucinel »

Very nice revolver, never saw one in person, let alone fire it. From your photo I can't really get an idea of the size of it, seems kind of compact. All in all, a very nice looking gun, would love to have one in my collection, would look great next to the colt I bought at an auction not long ago. I would appreciate if you shared some shooting range footages, I am very curious on how it handles when firing. Anyway, congratulations with your purchase!
Last edited by Cucinel on Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Hello Cucinel,

The length from the muzzle to the heel of the grip is about 11 inches. I won't be shooting it to preserve its condition.

I see that you are a new member. Please introduce yourself on the new member page and tell us about your favorite Rugers.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector