German-engraved Single Six Magnum

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
Ruger8r

Re: German-engraved Single Six Magnum

Post by Ruger8r »

JussBad, that is a very nice foreign-engraved old single six. I wonder how many others like these are out there. A tiny niche of RSS collecting?
Bennet, I know that Waffen-Reich (which means Reich Gunshop) in Darmstadt is no longer in business. The owner (Otto, I believe) was the brother of Alfred Reich and the uncle of Gerhard Reich, two well known engravers in that area and time. The work could have been done by a number of contract engravers, however. The shop customized long guns, mostly, like many other German smiths. I have a couple of lines of inquiry to persue for information through gun shops in Germany but with everything closed communication is iffy. Maybe some records survive.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

The grips turned out to be ivory so they will not be coming with the gun. Believe it or not the FFL just shipped it today. Long story but it's been nearly 3 weeks. What grips would you put on it if it was yours? Here are some more pics:
pix750061504.jpg
pix431171411.jpg
pix068990538.jpg
pix432301519.jpg
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Finally got an appointment to see and register the gun yesterday. It looks great in person and worth the wait. However, there was a mildly shocking moment at my FFL. I had always thought the metal looked a little dull, especially the gold, so I took some metal cleaner/treatment with me and gently wiped the gun down with a patch soaked in it on the GS counter. Low and behold, a yellow film came right off and all the "gold" is actually silver. I suspect it was a very old coating of oil that was applied a to protect the engraving which had turned yellow with age. I have to say it looks better this way and all the metal has a little more shine. I don't think it affects the value, which is very subjective, much.
I'm looking forward to discovering the story of this amazing piece.
Here are three photos I quickly took at the GS:
20200620_165308.jpg
20200620_165244.jpg
20200620_165250.jpg
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

That's a real peice of art you have there, I'm sure someone here will be able to identify the engraver. The ivory grips really work with it, maybe some stags. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Wow, that is about as close as you can get to 100% engraving. I like the silver bear. Have you removed the ejector rod housing? If not you may want to just in case the engraver signed it under the housing. I would put ivory or some nice stags on it.
Bill
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Thank you. Really terrible lighting.
I won't have the gun in my possession until after June 30, the end of the 10-day waiting period. I could not even get the cylinder pin out yesterday - it has probably not been removed in decades. But I will definitely check under the housing, thanks Bill.
That would be great if someone here could identify the engraver.
California has more strict laws on owning ivory than most of the country so I can't bring them in. They are incredible, though, and I hope to find away for a friend in another state to hold them for me.
I tried to fit an aftermarket set of old style xr3 grips but a small raised ramp shape under the top of the panels prevented them from seating. Is that something I have to custom fit?
Better photos later.
Owen
Bob Wright

Post by Bob Wright »

Why engrave a Single Six? Folks engrave watches, Zippo lighters, pocket knives, whatever; so why not a Single Six? I do admire engraved guns when well done and in good taste, which yours is. But, for me, the cost of engraving equals the purchase of another gun.

I remember many years ago, back when I was in target shooting, one shooter had an elaborately engraved H&R .22 top break.

Bob Wright
Bob Wright

Post by Bob Wright »

I tried to fit an aftermarket set of old style xr3 grips but a small raised ramp shape under the top of the panels prevented them from seating. Is that something I have to custom fit?
Better photos later.
Owen
That little "ramp" shown in photos of the grip frame is common to all but the latest grip frames. The grips you tried evidently are the newer style.

Bob Wright
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

You're right, of course, Bob, but there is engraving and there is an extravagantly engraved, silver art (a bear on a .22 pistol?) inlaid show piece like this. The cost of this work would have bought many guns, even then, so whoever had it done was emotionally attached to Ruger or knew someone who was, I think. The why and who are part of the story that interests me. Fascinating no matter what.
The grips package is labeled om xr3. When I finally get the gun I will file them to fit and send them back to NC Ordnance if that doesn't work. The guy on the phone didn't seem to know what I was talking about.
CA DOJ is way behind in processing DROS applications. They are two weeks overdue on my clearance for pick-up. Hopefully this week. Patience.
O
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Finally picked up the gun yesterday. Had an appointment to DROS my other single-six and turns out my FFL had been sitting on this clearance for a week. The delays have been frustrating but worth it because this piece is truly amazing.
A thorough cleaning revealed detail I hadn't seen before and the silver, which I like better than the gold look, really pops. I'm sure the gun had never even been wiped down before and I may be the first to remove the cylinder since the work was done - the base pin was very sticky. But it had to be done and it now looks as it should. I don't think it has ever been cocked, much less fired. Just pristine!
I tried to turn the ejector rod housing screw but it is very tight and I don't want to risk buggering the engraved screw head so I'll drop some mild penetrate around it and try later, maybe.
The grips are imitation jigged horn and required a fair amount of tweaking to get a good fit. They're just a place holder until something nicer comes along but black does not compete with the engraving.
The different colors of bluing are very attractive and exemplify that Ruger thang nicely.
Latest photos attached.
20200721_171015.jpg
20200721_172357.jpg
20200721_172633.jpg
20200722_132539.jpg