Type 2 & 3 flatgates with stags

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
Ruger8r

Type 2 & 3 flatgates with stags

Post by Ruger8r »

I did it again.
Just picked up this 5 digit Six with factory stag grips from a small-town New Mexico gun shop. It also has had a round loading gate installed.
The story goes that they bought the gun from the 85 year-old original owner, who claimed it came from the factory with stags. They sold it to a gentleman who recently passed away and his widow brought it to them to sell. I suspect that there was a misunderstanding and he probably said that the grips came from the factory. But they are writing a note attesting to their understanding of its history.
Is it possible that the gun was sent back to the factory where the loading gate and grips were changed? I have requested a LOA but I understand they don't reveal any service history. Does Ruger even have service records? Here are the seller's photos. The emblem on the left side looks a little scuffed.
pix605571729.jpg
pix854121013.jpg
pix192808799.jpg
Last edited by Ruger8r on Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
Brass Frame

Re: Type 2 flatgate with stags

Post by Brass Frame »

Nice looking grips and the gun only shows typical holster wear. Great looking gun with what could be an after market loading gate?
These early Single Sixes show the original design that has made Ruger revolvers so collectible. Good find. Brass Frame/Lee E
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

We have never heard of factory stags being shipped on the gun from the factory. They were purely listed as accesories. Loading gate is a Premier after market. When Dick Beileau was Service Mgr and moved his Dept from Southport to the New Hampshire, he took no service records with him. He stated that to me years ago, noting there was just too much paper to be moved.
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

I understand about the factory thing - I'm wondering if the gun could have been returned to the factory for installation of an updated gate and the stags. Lot's of folks did not like the flat gates. Also, a GS (or anyone, I guess) could have ordered the parts from Ruger and installed them, right? From photos I have seen here, the gate does not look like a Premier to me, wadr. I am considering restoring it to original but it looks good like this.
O
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

Count me in with those not liking the flat loading gate. I appreciate the historical significance but guns should be aesthetically pleasing to get my attention. I wouldn't restore if it were mine, looks great as is to me
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

See this thread.
Bennett posted a picture of a Ruger and Premier gates.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2408

JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Thanks, Jay.
That's the photo I mentioned above. Mine sure looks Ruger to me.
Still would like to know whether Ruger serviced flat gate Sixes for owners returning them to have the updated round gate installed. Just curious.
chet15

Post by chet15 »

Carbineguy wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:38 pm Thanks, Jay.
That's the photo I mentioned above. Mine sure looks Ruger to me.
Still would like to know whether Ruger serviced flat gate Sixes for owners returning them to have the updated round gate installed. Just curious.
Sure...Ruger could have installed a round loading gate for a customer if a gun was sent to the factory for them to do that.
Chet15
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101463651

This listing on GI had lines drawn through all the text. Does that mean it was sold or withdrawn? Check out the price - and it's not even a Type 1. I read somewhere that the lanyard ring was a European thing. Never seen one before. Very interesting looking stags.
Owen
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

Well.......a type I sold for $660 over on Gunrunner very recently..AND THERE IS A SOON TO CLOSE "VERY NICE" TRI COLOR LIGHTWEIGHT AT 1020..!!!!!!!!
SO............Stags are $650++..this RSS has a hole drilled in the GF and while attractive, is not worth 1500........JMO's best to pay attention to the math, stalwarts 8-)