A 44 Special by Hamilton Bowen

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
Dyermountain

Re: A 44 Special by Hamilton Bowen

Post by Dyermountain »

Beautiful. Bowen does some serious work.
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Outstanding!
I really like those stags.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
gunsbam45

Post by gunsbam45 »

Sharp lil 4" there in the right caliber 4 it IMHO. Did someone custom make the stags, or did you have some fit? They're just as sharp as the rest of the gun. Would love to hear where they came from.
Doc4429

Post by Doc4429 »

I bought the stag grips in the mid-90s from Lynn Laudise. I wish he was still with us as he always found the neatest Ruger handguns and accessories.

Bill
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

I agree with you Bill, Lynn was a great guy. I bought a lot of fine and rare Rugers from him. That was back in the old Gunlist days.
Bill
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Gunsbam45,
Those are Ruger factory stag grips made for just a few years and only fit early Blackhawks and Single-Sixes - the XR3 grip frames. They are prized by collectors but, as such, have been knocked-off by various fakers. Look around here and you'll learn a lot about them.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
Brass Frame

Post by Brass Frame »

Bill, I have a similar .44 Special, made from a converted Old Model .357 Ruger. However it has a 5" barrel which makes it legal for me to carry while deer hunting in Ohio. I have also carried it on several Elk and Mule Deer hunts in New Mexico and Wyoming. Easy to carry and accurate, if I do my part! Brass Frame/Lee E
Doc4429

Post by Doc4429 »

Lee...I haven't carried this .44 much, but it shoots great. I have a short barreled S&W 44 Magnum I have carried on several elk hunts in the Scapegoat Wilderness of Montana. A short barrel is a must when on horseback (or on a mule, which I actually prefer :) :) ).

Bill
Brass Frame

Post by Brass Frame »

Bill, good for you on the elk hunt. I actually had to draw my .44 Special on an elk hunt when a cougar wanted my elk meat and decided to take it after dark one night! Quite an experience to come out of a deep sleep to hear the horses and men shouting while trying to remember why I was sleeping in a tent? No one was hurt and the meat was safe. One never knows what might cross your path on the trail. My .44 Special will shoot very accurately with one of Elmer's suggested loads. brass frame/Lee E
Doc4429

Post by Doc4429 »

Lee...My first trip to the Bob Marshall Wilderness in 1986 resulted in a similar experience. We had all gone to bed in our tents and about 1 AM the horses in the corral started going crazy. Turns out a grizzly had come into camp, spooked the horses who kicked down the fence and scattered. The wranglers and guides spent most of the next morning chasing them down. The outfitter chastised us somewhat for not getting up and dealing with the bear. Like we were really going to do that :shock:

At this time, I had a Model 629 with an 8 3/8-inch barrel with me. Not much good on horseback and too heavy to carry in the mountains, but I learned, and that is why the short barreled 44 Magnum came along after that.

Bill