Chromed Flatgate

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
06dilly

Chromed Flatgate

Post by 06dilly »

Looking for advice on this one. It’s a chromed single six flatgate. Serial number 141xx so I think that’s early 1956. I find reference in an old RENE guide to some that Ruger sent for chroming but those were a few later in the 15xxx range. Really curious if it is possible that this was one done by or sent out by Ruger back then.

The grip frame is the next thing that I don’t understand as it looks like what I’d call “in the white” except that it’s aluminum. Any history of Ruger sending some out that way?

I’d appreciate any thoughts on whether this is possibly something special or if it’s just a frankengun that someone has messed with in the last 65 years. Either way it’s cool and I like the uniqueness but of course it would be fun to know if it’s special.

Hope the pictures come through ok, otherwise I can repost.

Thanks!
TomD
06dilly

flattop44

Re: Chromed Flatgate

Post by flattop44 »

That is a fine looking plated RSS. The only real way to know if it is something special is to get a factory letter stating that it was nickel or chrome plated when it left the factory. Sadly, to the best of my knowledge we still can not get letters on the old models since the staff for those are still not back in the office. If I remember correctly all of the nine authenticated chrome plated flatgate/roundgate RSSs had black anodized grip frames. The majority of the factory engraved RSSs did have polished alloy grip frames like this one. The later factory plated Super Single-Sixes had plated alloy grip frames on them. It would be very special indeed if you could letter it!! Good luck!
FT44/aka Bill
06dilly

Post by 06dilly »

Thanks Bill! I’ll give Ruger a try once the staff is back. Wasn’t even thinking of that. Great to know they still have the records back to the beginning.

TomD
Doc4429

Post by Doc4429 »

Regarding letters, I received one on an early .22 pistol at the end of January 2021. It took about four weeks from the time I mailed the request and check.

Bill
hittman

Post by hittman »

Food for thought ..... I’ve had excellent luck sending my request along with a polite letter telling them exactly what I’m looking for or “suspect” the gun MAY be. I even offer to pay for their additional time if they need to thumb through manual records, etc.

I’ve never had an additional charge.
Three or more times they’ve actually called me on the phone to confirm my request.
On occasion I’ve even got a second letter with more detailed explanation on what the gun is.

Good luck!
06dilly

Post by 06dilly »

Excellent idea. I will do just that. Thanks for the advice!

TomD
06dilly

Re: Chromed Flatgate - Followup

Post by 06dilly »

Well, I followed all the advice here, sent a nice letter to Ruger along with my request for a letter and I got a phone call back from a wonderful lady who has been at Ruger for over 40 years. Yes, she knows many of you guys here and she really tried her best. She can not confirm that this gun was sent out for plating by Ruger but she also can not rule it out as the "day records" from that period were lost in a flood just a few year's back. Not sure if that means something to you longer time collectors but for me it sounds like no one will ever know.

She then sent the letter which I just received. Ruger Single Six serial number 14138 was produced in March 1955 (one year earlier than I thought) and was shipped to The Sutcliff Company in Louisville, KY the same month.

Any chance someone knows of a copy of the "day records" from 1955 before they were lost? Either way, I picked up an amazing gun that someone liked enough to plate quite a few years ago.

Thanks again for all the advice!

TomD
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Hated to hear that it wouldn't letter but its still a fine looking Flatgate.
Bill