Single Six #415

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
Ruger8r

Re: Single Six #415

Post by Ruger8r »

Thanks Ron.
That's my plan - along with some white polishing compound.
I got the goo off the top strap with some solvent and a soft brush. I was just thinking that maybe it was the same stuff that marred the finish.
I'm very curious about the SN stamped on the cylinder. Was that common practice?
I'll post some after shots later.
Yes, I'm addicted.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Stamping the serial number on the early Single-Sixes was not a common practice. In my experience if a gun was sent back to Ruget for refinishing they would stamp the last 3 digits of the serial number on the face of the cylinder. Do you see any signs that it may have been refinished?
Bill
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Well, it's awfully shiney, Bill. Might have been refinished. And some tiny nicks in the cylinder stop notches look blued over. So I would say yeah.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
radicalrod

Post by radicalrod »

Well it appears to have been refinished they stamp the serial number on the cylinder to match it up when done.....the end of the bushing is blue it appears again this should be in the white from being fit.....still a really nice find.....don't find many low number guns in the wild anymore....
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

I decided to try hand polishing first. The thought of that sinking feeling when a slip with the Dremel scratches something made me pause. I got some of that stuff off but the cylinder flutes are stubborn. It came off as a brownish stain, like old oil. Don't want to go too far so I'm going to leave it alone for now.
This was on Gunbroker but only advertised as a low serial number Six with a buy now price I couldn't pass up. I got lucky.
Just need some stags for it.
johnc

Post by johnc »

question here (from my own ignorance).....if it has been refinished, would that hurt the value any?
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Carbineguy wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:43 pm I decided to try hand polishing first. The thought of that sinking feeling when a slip with the Dremel scratches something made me pause. I got some of that stuff off but the cylinder flutes are stubborn. It came off as a brownish stain, like old oil. Don't want to go too far so I'm going to leave it alone for now.
This was on Gunbroker but only advertised as a low serial number Six with a buy now price I couldn't pass up. I got lucky.
Just need some stags for it.
Owen,
Do you still want some stags for this?
PM me.

JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

johnc wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:42 am question here (from my own ignorance).....if it has been refinished, would that hurt the value any?
On a 3 digit gun, having it refinished probably would hurt the collectible value. Collectors are a finicky lot and even if it had honest wear from over the years, it may be worth more to a collectore that one that had been refinished. I will add a caveat (??), if it had been refinished by the factory and had papers attesting to that, then maybe not, it might even help the value. That said, I am not a SA collector, I specialized in the Ruger DA's - but rest assured, there are Ruger SA collectors that are MUCH MORE versed in what makes and older revolver worth money than me who can answer you question better. (I'm still learning the SA side of Ruger collecting :D )
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
johnc

Post by johnc »

ok. i wondered because i was told by a "ruger expert" (and he may well be) that COLLECTORS only want em if they are pristine, and if refinished that would qualify. having owned 3 small mom and pop gun stores in the 80s, i disagreed. i saw more than a few winchester 94s coming across the border with rack #s etc that placed them in the pancho villa era that went for premium and the buyers first rule was it better be all or mostly original, including blue and stocks. i bought from an army calvary widow a US army 45 colt w/lanyard loop in good shape and holster for $50 i am now told i could get around 5-7k for to the right collector. this may not be apples to apples AT ALL but got me to wondering.
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

John,
I echo what Ron says.
I would only add one thing.....
It is your collection, do what makes YOU happy :)
If a person is ONLY doing this as an investment,
there are faster ways to make money 8-) 8-)

Cheers,
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker