Recent Single-Six auction

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
chet15

Recent Single-Six auction

Post by chet15 »

Did anybody here happen to win the bid on the Magnum marked Single-Six that was in the recent internet auction, serial number 304057? Note that the gun does have Magnum markings on the left side of the frame, but that it had a 5-1/2" barrel!!!
I know, chances are the gun would never letter with that barrel length, but what if???
There was nothing out of the ordinary in that auction that raised alarms on it... the gun looked to be original condition, and there was nothing in the auction description touting its rarity.
Maybe an employee assembled the wrong barrel on it? And maybe the barrel length was changed sometime in its history, but ???? Would seem to be a P.I.T.A. just to lop 1" off the barrel (from a 6-1/2") and still have to machine the recess for that front sight to sit in. All things considered, would seem to be about 95% that it left the factory that way, but how to prove???
Chet15

https://www.proxibid.com/Ruger-Single-S ... 9951171875
chet15

Re: Recent Single-Six auction

Post by chet15 »

Maybe the barrel was changed. The wear on the front left side of the barrel doesn't seem to match with the wear seen at the front of the cylinder or the front of the ejector housing.
Chet15
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

I was on this gun and trying to bid via the internet but, you know, computers. They move really fast and I just couldn't get in to raise. Best to put in absolutly highest maximum bid prior to sale.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
Coogs

Post by Coogs »

Kinda like another auction that people didn't pay much attention to........but I did............
rugerguy

Post by rugerguy »

I agree with Chet15, doubt it would letter,BUT......never say never
as well as knowing of the ones we have rebarreled and changed over the years, hell, I still have BOTH barrels, 6.5 or the shorter5.5 old models, left over in the parts drawers from our old shops, sold many of them over the years at gun shows, as well as made the barrel changes here ,at home, after 'retirement'....ah those were the days...if only the guns could talk!!! 8-) :roll: ;)
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Coogs wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:16 am Kinda like another auction that people didn't pay much attention to........but I did............
And what did you find?
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
Coogs

Post by Coogs »

Two Maximum long cylinder .357 prototypes and serial #600-14120........which according to Ruger records that gun was scrapped. Those 3 Maxi's were given to my friend, Joe Callahan, who was head/worked on the Max ammunition at Remington, personally by Bill Jr.
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Miestro Maximum strikes again! What a haul - rare finds, indeed.
O
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

That is really great Coogs, you sure deserve them!! You work hard for those Maxies!!

FT44