OM Bearcat SN

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
Ruger8r

OM Bearcat SN

Post by Ruger8r »

Please take a look at the SN in the attached photo and tell me what you think it is; a wishful thinker may have cloudy vision. A request for a LOA has been submitted so I should know in a couple of weeks, maybe.
pix047154547.jpg
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
rugerguy

Re: OM Bearcat SN

Post by rugerguy »

looks like the last digit was struck at least 'twice' as the last digit is larger font, then another number or it may be a letter "S"??? maybe the factory letter will tell you..I do know that if you take the guns trigger guard off, the serial number is also stamped inside the trigger guard casting ( they are aluminum, thats been anodized.........all 5 digits will be on there.
One never knows if numbers may have been "added" (hand stamped) later ...if only the gun could talk ( not just go bang!) 8-) :roll: ;)
chet15

Post by chet15 »

I know of a 6-1/2" Super Blackhawk that has a number struck over the last digit of its serial number, 25591/0
As I understand it, the last wheel of the serial numbering head needed to be rotated by hand with each gun that was serial numbered, and the 2nd from last wheel after every ten guns, etc. So perhaps running it back through and having a "6" (?) stamped over the top prevented the hassle of needing to create a duplicate serial number.
I bet rugerguy is correct... have a hunch the underside of the trigger guard will show "23836" without evidence of a "5" underneath.
I think the last digit of this gun has at least a "5" as the last digit since the digit has a flat top to it.
Chet15
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

The last digit is, obviously, an over-strike but both numbers look larger than the other four digits to me. I believe that the first stamp was a 5, lightly struck by mistake, and then an S was struck, much harder, over it. It looks like the light is coming from the right and the S is totally shadowed because it's so deep. So, I think the number on the TG is 2383. I will see it next week at my FFL - tempted to take it apart right then cuz I have to wait ten days to bring it home. I have requested letters on 2383 and 23835. Should, maybe, have added 23836. It's all in the TG.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Got to look at the Bearcat and remove the trigger guard a few days ago. It is SN 23835. The 5 is apparently hand-stamped over a weak original stamp so maybe a little unusual but not an S.
First time I ever held a Bearcat and I'm, now, smitten with these diminutive beauties. A blue Super is next.