Blackhawk with gold anodized grip frame

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
rpm enterprises

Re: Blackhawk with gold anodized grip frame

Post by rpm enterprises »

Here is a picture that Chad sent me. It shows some different colors of grip frames. Chad please chime in on what you know about them.
Attachments
Dearden XR3 grip frames.jpg
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

Chad, when posting a message, right below the text box there's an attachment tab. Click it, then click add files and you can access your pictures from there.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
SteveRuger

Post by SteveRuger »

I have the 22 Magnum serial #312121 S that letters with the Gold Anodized Grip Frame NIB with the sleeve i purchased from Ralph K. 15+ years ago.
Steve
GUN COLLECTORS.......Stewards of America's Firearms Heritage!
God Bless Our Troops, Especially Our Snipers!
chet15

Post by chet15 »

The three different colors of XR3 grip frames all came from the Bob Dearden collection (estate?) back in the day. They wound up with Fred Nielson of Stuart, Iowa at some point along with a bunch of other good Dearden memorabilia as far back as you can go. I sold the three grip frames in one lot (with other Nielson/Dearden items) for Fred in 1984 I believe.
Note that the Green and Red anodized grip frames have never had the locator pins installed.
These grip frames were done around the same time as gun makers like Browning, High Standard and Remington were marketing different anodation colors on various aluminum receiver models.
Really, the gold anodized frame is more of a light brown, since gold anodation is what was used on Bearcat trigger guards.
When I have a chance, I'll look at the ALCOA founders mark a little closer in the pic I took to see if it has the large ALCOA G or small ALCOA G.
Chet15

P.S.: When I got the three anodized grip frames in the consignment collection to sell, I also had in the same batch of goodies a steel Super Blackhawk long grip frame that had never been on a gun. If I remember correctly, it never had the trigger slot milled out to the wide trigger size. But what was really unusual is that on the side of each triangle at the top of the grip frame was the shadow of a star... almost like the star was originally in the grip frame as a raised feature on the casting (or maybe it was stamped), but polished out of course, leaving the shadow of a star. Then the grip frame was blued.
Chet15
T.A. Workman

Post by T.A. Workman »

That bottom frame looks like an XR3-RED or is it just my old eyes?? :)

Terry
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
chet15

Post by chet15 »

T.A. Workman wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:12 am That bottom frame looks like an XR3-RED or is it just my old eyes?? :)

Terry
I will double check.
Chet15
chet15

Post by chet15 »

This post reminds me... I know of two other gold anodized grip frame guns... one was a .44 flattop, I believe serial number 150 (don't have my notes in front of me at the moment), that surfaced sometime in the 1970's or early 1980's.
Then there is also the "S" Lightweight that is known with gold anodized grip frame... I believe J.D. has that one. That gun was found in the 1970's by an old time collector by the name of Alan Welsheimer. Alan was at the Columbus, Ohio show at the time and had picked up 4 (four!!!!) "S" Lightweights while there. He told a young upstart collector by the name of Jeff Munnell that he knew where there was a 5th "S" Lightweight at the show and that he would be miles ahead if he went over and bought that one because some day they would be great collectibles. Jeff did get that one.
But one of the four "S" Lightweights that Alan bought that day had a gold anodized grip frame. 200445S if I remember right. That gun eventually found its way to John Debrucque of New York and is currently with J.D. also as far as I know.
Chet15
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Chet 15, yep the .44 Flattop #150 had a gold anodized grip frame when found. I purchased the gun sometime later and the owner wanted to keep the gold anodized GF so it wears a normal XR3 grip frame today.
FT44
johncdougan

Post by johncdougan »

Chet,
You are partially correct, regarding the S marked Lightweight with gold anodized grip frame. I purchased it from Alan decades ago, and regrettably sold it and many other Lightweights to DeBruque in about 1987-88. I have often thought about the gun and have no idea where it now resides. It was in new condition in the original box with papers. It is pictured on page 175 & 176 of Pistols & Revolvers. I had to sell off most of my Ruger collection so that I could pay for the Amber Single-Six, X13 Hawkeye, F marked Single-Six and 7 other prototypes. I'm sure everyone reading this has similar stories to tell.

I do have in my collection two Single-Sixes with gold anodized grip frames; RSS9 #141760 with XR3 on page 163 of P&R and an RSSM-X with XR3RED #338187 (not pictured P&R).

Also, on page 180 of P&R is another RSSM #312121, not mine.

I also have a gold anodized sample XR3 frame that Jack Behn gave me years ago. It was polished prior to anodizing, there were no drilling operations done on it.

John
Brass Frame

Post by Brass Frame »

.44 Flat Top; the gold anodized XR3 GF from # 150, is still part of my Brass Frame display and it is a dull, brown color.
I also have a NEW, XR3-RED grip frame in a bright gold color that I found in a gun shop in central Ohio. Two fine examples of color variants on the two original grip frames, both made before the brass grip frame, part # MR3-DB, was developed. Brass Frame/Lee