.357 Super Redhawk, U.K. Specification

Includes all Post 1973 New Model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Maximums, Bisleys, Vaqueros,
and New Vaqueros.
SPAS 15

.357 Super Redhawk, U.K. Specification

Post by SPAS 15 »

On the 16th September there is gun auction here in the U.K. and within the auction is a .357 Ruger Super Redhawk. I can imagine your question would be how can someone in the U.K. own a revolver. The answer is that any revolver over here as to be either a percussion revolver or if you want a centre fire calibre it as to be a minimum overall length of 24 inches and the barrel as to be a minimum length of 12 inches. That is why as you see in the photo below of the actual revolver for sale it has a long barrel and it has a non removable rod or brace attached to the grip. These are classed as Long Barrelled Revolvers and come under the same firearms laws as rifles.
RugerSBHLBR.jpg
Now all long barrelled revolvers can only be newly manufactured in the configuration as in the photo and any short barrelled revolvers cannot be converted as these are restricted by U.K. gun laws. You have to have a good reason to possess the revolver with target shooting and 3 gun competitions would be a good reason. Therefore you have to attend the club or 3 gun competitions on a regular basis. You can store them at home securely but you cannot go hunting with them.

The owner of the revolver is, and there are no exceptions, the only person who can shoot the revolver even if the owner is present. Personally i cannot see the point in shooting them with all the restrictions of use and there are far more opportunities for shooting rifle here in the U.K. This is only one small part of overly complicated and fustrating U.K. gun laws but i hope you found it interesting.
Last edited by SPAS 15 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RoninPA

Re: .357 Super Blackhawk, U.K. Specification

Post by RoninPA »

If that is a picture of the actual revolver that was being auctioned off, that is a Super Redhawk, not a Super Blackhawk. Still, those are some weird laws you guys have.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
SPAS 15

Re: .357 Super Redhawk, U.K. Specification

Post by SPAS 15 »

Thanks for the correcting me on what revolver it is. The listing said Blackhawk but as we do not have many of these revolver over here i can understand getting it wrong. Yes we have some really weird gun laws over here and i sometimes cannot understand why people bother to conform to and apply to own them.

I know someone who has a Beretta pistol that was used for military trials and he cannot keep it at home and as to do a 250 mile round trip just to shoot it.
contender

Post by contender »

Some of us over here have seen photos of such revolvers made for there. They aren't available here,, so the DA collectors here would love to own one,, if made by Ruger. And yes,,, apparently Ruger does make them like that strictly for the European market. It's sad to see such stupid laws forced upon people,, when the true stupidity is in the people making such laws.
I'd love to handle & shoot one of those,, just to see what it's like.

Thanks for sharing!
chet15

Post by chet15 »

Just remember everybody... these started off as having 21" barrels. Most had the barrels cut and wire shoulder stock added to get by the firearm length requirements for England.
Was thinking I had more info available on how many were made of each, but I do not believe there were not more than 100 each made in .357 mag. and .44 mag.
Chet15
SPAS 15

Post by SPAS 15 »

You are both correct and thanks for your replies Chet and Contender.
Under U.K. gun laws, with the exception of shotguns, all firearms and particularly these revolvers have to be manufactured in the configuration as seen in the photo above, they are then given the designation as such and once done so they cannot be changed or converted back to a short barrel revolver or the brace removed as these revolvers are restricted.

Just as a reference we can also have long barrelled pistols and because most pistols are semi automatic we are not allowed these in centre fire calibres as are revolvers and they are restricted to . 22LR only.
chet15

Post by chet15 »

SPAS 15 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:15 am You are both correct and thanks for your replies Chet and Contender.
Under U.K. gun laws, with the exception of shotguns, all firearms and particularly these revolvers have to be manufactured in the configuration as seen in the photo above, they are then given the designation as such and once done so they cannot be changed or converted back to a short barrel revolver or the brace removed as these revolvers are restricted.

Just as a reference we can also have long barrelled pistols and because most pistols are semi automatic we are not allowed these in centre fire calibres as are revolvers and they are restricted to . 22LR only.
As I understand it, most were cut because the 21" barrel length was, well.... very unwieldy. But they had to go to England like that in order to pass muster with your government. Hence, the reason the barrels were cut and wire shoulder stocks added after-the-fact.
Wish I could get my hands on one of each caliber that are original with their 21" barrels!
Chet15
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

SPAS, thanks for the pics and informative post about the gun laws in your part of the world. Very interesting.
Bill
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Ron needs a brace of those.... You ain't gonna play quickdraw with them, that's for sure!
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

SPAS15,
I sure wish one of them would come available in our country. I would love to have one for my collection.
O M CRAZY