Ruger 77/17

Includes .44 & 10/22 Carbines; Mini-14, 30 & 6.8; Model 96 & 99/44 Deerfields; M77s; PC 4s & 9s; AC-556; MP9; XGI.
RugerfanAustria

Ruger 77/17

Post by RugerfanAustria »

Hello friends, I would need your help or rather experience.

I could get hold of a Ruger 77/17 in 17 Winchester Super Magnum for a relatively good price and I have a few questions about that. This caliber is completely unknown in my homeland and apart from Hornady, there would hardly be any ammunition to buy.

My question to you would be whether any of you have experience with the caliber and Hornady ammunition or maybe even with the 77/17 because if I'm dissatisfied it will almost not be for sale in Austria.

What about the future of the 17 WSM in America in general?

Thank you and best regards
Rugerologist

Re: Ruger 77/17

Post by Rugerologist »

I own a few .17 WSM guns but not the M77. It's a very hot round and I have used it for coyotes, raccoons, and beavers on our farm with success. It's capable of taking any varmint in AR and some down south hunt gators with it. You would not want to squirrel hunt with it unless your aim is eyeball precise. The first squirrel that I hit with one basically skinned and gutted it leaving nothing but chunks of meat and bone in its wake. Ammunition availability has been spotty here for a year or so but the diligent shopper can find it although most of our local shops have a 1 box limit on just about everything lately. The heavy barreled Savages that I use are tack drivers and the lighter barreled Ruger American that I carry in my farm truck has been a pleasure to own and shoot. Hornady makes a good round and makes up the bulk of the .17 WSM in my ammo can. None of my guns have had a problem with it. The round is probably not for everyone but if you can justify it I think you'll enjoy it.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
RugerfanAustria

Re: Ruger 77/17

Post by RugerfanAustria »

The 17 WSM is more of a "want to have" that fascinates me than that I really have a use for it.

Thank you for sharing your experience.