Picked up my first non-prefix rifle yesterday

No. 1 and No. 3
Heerenfan

Re: Picked up my first non-prefix rifle yesterday

Post by Heerenfan »

According to Rowdy's records, there are 9 rifles in this configuration and caliber combo known; this added one to his list. Also, I wrote to Ruger and just got the Letter of Authenticity back today.

The rifle was manufactured and shipped in November 1967, so it is a first year rifle. I am quite pleased with this result!
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

That's great news for sure, my only first year guns are 3 digit s/n's.. so as far as rings, it originally would have been shipped with vertical splits, but what I've been told is that many of these rifles were sent back to the factory due to accuracy issues and Ruger replaced the verticals with the horizontals.

if they were replaced at that time period, the horizontals would have the large hole side nut. Can't see clear enough from your pictures to tell that...
Heerenfan

Post by Heerenfan »

Unfortunately, the rings that came with it are NOT the large hole style; they have standard slot ring half screws and the small hole base screw.

I did find a pic of the large hole rings in Clayton's book to compare to my rings. By the way, I found a nice copy of the book, number 199 of a signed limited edition of 500.
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

and sold it to me today!!!!!

thankyou.... :D :D :D :D
Heerenfan

Post by Heerenfan »

You're welcome, enjoy!
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

thought that I should post the final chapter to this thread. Picked up the AHS yesterday and today fitted it with it's missing components. The rear sight and vertical split rings. And as usual, topped it off with a period correct Leupold from my scope collection...Still can't believe I have one in the gun rack now :D
image0[297].jpeg
Heerenfan

Post by Heerenfan »

Nice! And they lived happily ever after ;)