Ruger #1 Boddington African Adventure Series

No. 1 and No. 3
LIBERTY FOREVER

Ruger #1 Boddington African Adventure Series

Post by LIBERTY FOREVER »

"In 2008, Ruger collaborated with noted outdoor writer Craig Boddington and Lipsey's on a special series of Number 1 rifles. The result was a limited edition five gun set that would share the same features and be chambered in different calibers optimized for Craig's favorite African species to hunt. All of the rifles in the set feature a matte blue finish, circassion walnut stock, Warne quick detach rings, and special express sights made specifically for each caliber by Ruger. There were 250 of each model made with each caliber having the same serial # with a different pre-fix. The 375 Ruger Lion was the first rifle produced in the series and was built on the lighter Number 1S model for a quick handling, lighterweight, heavy caliber rifle. Falling Block Single Shot, 22" Barrel Circassion Walnut Stock, Matte Blue Finish, 1-in-12" Twist, Express Sights, Quarter Rib, 7.25 lbs., Alexander Henry Forend, Warne Quick Detach Rings The 450/400 Nitro Express Buffalo was the second rifle produced in the series. These have the lighter contour Number 1H Tropical barrel. Falling Block Single Shot, 24" Barrel Circassion Walnut Stock, Matte Blue Finish, 1-in-15" Twist, Express Sights Quarter Rib 9 lbs., Alexander Henry Forend, Warne Quick Detach Rings The 300 H&H Magnum Kudu was the third rifle produced in the series. This was the first Number 1 rifle chambered in this caliber and it is highly sought after. Falling Block Single Shot 26" Barrel, Circassion Walnut Stock, Matte Blue Finish, 1-in-10" Twist, Express Sights, Quarter Rib, 8 lbs., Alexander Henry Forend, Warne Quick Detach Rings The 7X57mm Leopard was the fourth installment of the Boddington Series. Falling Block Single Shot, 22" Barrel, Circassion Walnut Stock, Matte Blue Finish, 1-in-8.75" Twist, Express Sights Quarter Rib, 7 lbs. Alexander Henry Forend, Warne Quick Detach Rings The 450 Nitro Express Elephant model is the fifth and last installment of the Boddington Series. This rifle features the heavier contour Number 1H Tropical barrel. This is the first time Ruger has chambered this cartridge and it is a hammer! Falling Block Single Shot 24" Barrel, Circassion Walnut Stock, Matte Blue Finish, 1-in-15" Twist, Express Sights, Quarter Rib, 7.5 lbs., Alexander Henry Forend, Warne Quick Detach Rings" Guns-International.

Not having a deep history on the No1's these were great to read about and see for sale. They remind me of the short run of Mag-Na-Port African series revolvers fashioned for the long gun aficionado.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101079420
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
67stingray

Re: Ruger #1 Boddington African Adventure Series

Post by 67stingray »

I've read about these before and they are a collectors dream, like you said you rarely get the chance to buy the full set. Sure would be sweet to be able to pay that individual and put them on display at one of the shows.
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
LIBERTY FOREVER

Post by LIBERTY FOREVER »

Yes it would,
RUGER 10 GUN AFRICAN SAFARI SERIES
5 Ruger No1's by Lipseys & 5 Ruger Super Blackhawks by Mag-Na-Port.
It certainly has potential for an awesome display worthy of a display in any den or display.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101023743
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
Brass Frame

Post by Brass Frame »

Check with Old Man Ruger on those Mag-Na-Port guns. He owns most of them? Brass Frame/Lee E
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

Acquired my set of these one at a time, makes it easier than laying out the big $s all at once, but the serial numbers are not matched. That said, I did happen to get the 300 H&H Kudu with S/N CB3-00001. My understanding is that S/Ns CB1-00001 and CB2-00001 were presented to Craig by Lipsey's. I also have CB5-00010, so it would be nice to add CB1-00100 to the set. but that is just a wish. My other 2 are consecutive S/Ns.
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Zebra, you need to display those at one of ROCS display shows. That would sure be a great set of special Ruger rifles.
Bill
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Yeah, I too would like to see these in person. Nice find and topic Gene!
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
ElNumeroUno

Post by ElNumeroUno »

Zebra,
I'm thinking Craig told me his Kudu was #100
There was some guy in amarillo who claimed to have the #1 complete set back when they came out.
El Numero Uno
Serious Collector of Early & Rare Ruger No.1 Rifles
www.classicsportingarms.com
vaquerojoe

Post by vaquerojoe »

I was lucky enough to get my name on a list for all the rifles as they came out having the same s/n. They are nice. They are on the front row in my Ruger #1 safe.
Good to hear someone talking about them. I talked to Mr. Boddington at one of the NRA conventions and he was talking about shipping one of them over to some big game hunt and I told him that I would never put one of those rifles in shipment overseas. He just laughed.
I brought a box of ammo for each rifle. Because I sure didn't have ammo in those calibers laying on my ammo shelf.
Shoot Straight.
Joe
Nahanni

Post by Nahanni »

vaquerojoe wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:54 pm I was lucky enough to get my name on a list for all the rifles as they came out having the same s/n. They are nice. They are on the front row in my Ruger #1 safe.
Good to hear someone talking about them. I talked to Mr. Boddington at one of the NRA conventions and he was talking about shipping one of them over to some big game hunt and I told him that I would never put one of those rifles in shipment overseas. He just laughed.
I brought a box of ammo for each rifle. Because I sure didn't have ammo in those calibers laying on my ammo shelf.
Shoot Straight.
Joe
Nice