The Perfect Lyman

No. 1 and No. 3
zebra55

The Perfect Lyman

Post by zebra55 »

I bought the perfect Ruger Lyman Centennial grade II last month! The particular features of this gun that made it perfect were; a badly pitted back edge of the receiver and tang, a replacement black pad butt stock which finish doesn't match the forearm and a barrel with a myriad of drilled and tapped holes for various scope blocks. It came as gun only with no presentation case nor scope or anything else. It has really no collector value at all and I gladly paid the more than it's worth price of $1100 for this beauty...So why is it perfect, because I have no guilt in transforming it into my dream custom Creedmoor rifle.

Ever since seeing the Bill Ruger Creedmoor in the Clayton book 30 plus years ago, I've wanted to do this project. I have had many guns that were potentials, but in the end could not get myself to deface them...

For this project, Bobby Tyler will give it "much needed love", as he puts it, by repairing the pitted receiver and case coloring it, filling all the barrel holes, removing the barrel band and rebluing it. He also will be installing the custom long range tang sight and front globe sight that was custom made for it by Lee Shaver. The stock is currently being stripped and refinished with tongue oil and has already had a bison horn butt plate installed. So, in 6 months or so when Bobby sends me back the finished barreled action, I'll post pictures of the final product. :D

I only wish I would have taken some before pictures, but was too focused on getting it out to Bobby...
flattop44

Re: The Perfect Lyman

Post by flattop44 »

That is great, look forward to seeing Bobby's work on it.
Bill
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Have Bobby take some before and after. He probably will anyway but we would surely all like to see them!
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
gewehrfreund

Post by gewehrfreund »

I look forward to seeing it too!
You paid well for it, but then, you were on a mission, and that I can understand. ;)

I have a somewhat customized No. 3 in .223 coming in the UPS pipeline right now. I don't really need it, but the features and price were too irresistible. :oops:
Now, I'm already figuring what to do with it, with thoughts of getting it rebored or relined to something a lot more interesting than a 223 (i.e. 22RF/Magnum, 32-20, 6.8SPC, or 357 Mag.)
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

When you use "tongue oil" you get an extra smooth happy ending finish! Glad you have a nice project to look forward to. It's great when you can make something exactly the way you want it. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

after 3 years and 3 months this gun has been returned to me unfinished from Tyler gun works. Along with 4 other number 1's others that have not even been touched. Think I need to start a new posting so others that are thinking about using TGW can be warned. :x
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

After nearly 5 years, finally got these guns back today. They were completed by Dennis Olson in Montana. They turned out well...