Ruger No. 1-b 6mm Remington circa 1976

No. 1 and No. 3
Nahanni

Ruger No. 1-b 6mm Remington circa 1976

Post by Nahanni »

I just got this real nice ruger no. 1-b made in 1976 "liberty" . Great shape amazing wood. So I measured the rate of twist using every method known. It comes out at 1:11. Measured my other one and it is 1:10. I wrote ruger asking them and gave them the serial number and they said it's a 1:9.

I know it's for sure 1:11. This is really weird. Never heard of a 1:11 . Firearms made from 1955 to 1963 would have been 1:12 called a 244 at the time. And as you all know the Rem 6mm story they changed to 1:8. Info on line says Ruger hedged their bets and went 1:10. And like they wrote me they said that firearm was a 1:9. So the fact that mine is 1:11 is like I said really weird .

So anybody else know anything about this. Does it make this firearm collectible or just a stupid twist that i have to find <80gr ammo for which if course nobody makes anymore.
Nahanni

Re: Ruger No. 1-b 6mm Remington circa 1976

Post by Nahanni »

Here is a picture of it. So its looks nice but 1:11 twist might make it a waste of time. Wrote Ruger again. They said factory says 1:9, you must have an after market barrell. Nope its got your proof mark. You don't know how to measure ... I doubt it my method worked on the other 23 Ruger No. 1 I own. That will teach me for getting a year of Liberty ruger. They made so many that year and Wilson might have screwed up.
Attachments
unnamed.jpg