Special No.1 ?

No. 1 and No. 3
Nahanni

Re: Special No.1 ?

Post by Nahanni »

That's kind of Cool. Thanks for posting it. I cant tell you a price cause I live in Canada and our prices are a bit different. Wonder if that's the scope from back in the day.
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

no matter what the history it is a beautiful custom gun. Just speculating here, but the gun's metal may have went through a restoration along with the custom work. I know that I have sent guns out to TGW for restoration and Bobby has had to re-stamp the S/N due to removing pits from the action. Perhaps the restorer didn't re-stamp the S/N and the 7 is missing. Find it hard to believe it left the factory missing the 7, since they hand stamp D on the duplicates.
chet15

Post by chet15 »

I see a stainless trigger and a black butt pad so I don't think the gun is that old.
Chet15
gewehrfreund

Post by gewehrfreund »

zebra55 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:55 pm no matter what the history it is a beautiful custom gun. Just speculating here, but the gun's metal may have went through a restoration along with the custom work. I know that I have sent guns out to TGW for restoration and Bobby has had to re-stamp the S/N due to removing pits from the action. Perhaps the restorer didn't re-stamp the S/N and the 7 is missing. Find it hard to believe it left the factory missing the 7, since they hand stamp D on the duplicates.
I suggested it might have been refinished on that other Ruger forum, and got flamed. :roll:
Either way, it's pretty clear that the original sn is 1701. We'll probably never know why the 7 is missing on the receiver.

And to address Chad's comment, I think the trigger has just had the finish removed, or, it's some sort of aftermarket trigger. Also, given the customization, a black pad doesn't really mean anything in my book.
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

gewehrfreund wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:42 am
zebra55 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:55 pm no matter what the history it is a beautiful custom gun. Just speculating here, but the gun's metal may have went through a restoration along with the custom work. I know that I have sent guns out to TGW for restoration and Bobby has had to re-stamp the S/N due to removing pits from the action. Perhaps the restorer didn't re-stamp the S/N and the 7 is missing. Find it hard to believe it left the factory missing the 7, since they hand stamp D on the duplicates.
I suggested it might have been refinished on that other Ruger forum, and got flamed. :roll:
Either way, it's pretty clear that the original sn is 1701. We'll probably never know why the 7 is missing on the receiver.

And to address Chad's comment, I think the trigger has just had the finish removed, or, it's some sort of aftermarket trigger. Also, given the customization, a black pad doesn't really mean anything in my book.
agreed
deerhog

Post by deerhog »

gewehrfreund wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:42 am

After many years of owning countless firearms,It becomes rather easy to tell when a rifle has been refinished.
I do not believe this one has.Does not mean that im right...other than there is no obvious signs whatsoever.
deerhog

Post by deerhog »

As far as the trigger...i dont know if it is original...it breaks at 3lbs like a target trigger and is exceptional.
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

The guns restored by top notch companies like Turnbull or Tyler Gun Works you can't tell from the original factory finishes right down to the duplication of the factory bluing process...I have a restored early 130 gun shipped in 1970 that someone put away wet in a gun case and was in really rough shape. Sent it to TGW and Bobby not only had to re-stamp the S/N but also the Ruger logo etc. It sits side by side with other non prefix and early 130 guns and you can't tell them apart. Not only the bluing but also the correct sheen.
I have another 130 gun I purchased that someone had restored and you can easily tell that bluing doesn't match factory..
deerhog

Post by deerhog »

Given what you all have seen...can anyone venture to tell me what this rifle may be worth if I were to sell it?
Just curious, I am not fishing to sell.
chet15

Post by chet15 »

It doesn't look like a factory applied serial number to me. The digits are two shallow, and they don't seem to be of the same font/style as a non prefix gun.
Perhaps somebody can post a closeup of a four digit #1 serial number.
Chet15