#1 - 500 S&W

No. 1 and No. 3
Mannlicher

#1 - 500 S&W

Post by Mannlicher »

I reached out to Lipseys with an idea for a Ruger #1 in .500 S&W mag (similar to the BigHorn Armory Model 89 rifle in .500 S&W). I have one of the Bighorn Model 89s, but it won't cycle some of the heavier .500 SW ammo - specifically the 420 grain penetrators from Underwood because the Underwood 420s OAL is about an 1/8" ~ 1/16" longer than the typical .500. The Model 89 shoots them just fine if you feed them single-shot style into the chamber, but if you're going to shoot them single-shot, may as well do it with a #1.

I was thinking a factory offering for a #1 in .500SW would be neat, and fit those states that have straight-wall only hunting requirements, plus be a "shore-nuff" thumper, along the lines the .50 Beowulf and Model 89 already are.

Lipseys replied back that Ruger had already looked at it, and decided against it due to some problems/deficiencies with the #1 and the .500 SW cartridge. Are any of y'all familiar with that, or why Ruger would turn down the .500?

I had been also thinking to get a #1 custom-chambered as a .500 SW, but if there's problems with the two of them, I'd like to understand why Ruger engineers turned it down before I set out to build it.

I don't have any information on it - but doesn't seem like it would be any different from a .44 mag, .480 Ruger or .475 Linebaugh, and those have all been done. Maybe it was something as simple as cost / tooling cost, and expected ROI for mass-marketing. No clue.
RocDoc

Re: #1 - 500 S&W

Post by RocDoc »

My guess is ROI, probably don't think it would sell very well. Apples to oranges, but some of the 460 SW were sitting in dealer inventory for a long time. The straight wall cartridge argument made often, there are several versions of them Ruger has produced.
Mannlicher

Post by Mannlicher »

Thanks.

I actually did not know about the #1 in .460 S&W. I'll go look into those and see if there's a spare one around. Do you know if any were made in stainless/laminate?

I'll check on that also. Really prefer the stainless, and preferably laminate versions.
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

No 460 SW SS laminate ever factory made. If interested in a 460, Lee Newton at classicsportingarms.com had some a while ago may still. Worth a phone call, number on web page on the No. 1 Rifles for sale tab. Good guy, been buying and trading with him for many years. Also presedient of ROCS