Picked up my first non-prefix rifle yesterday

No. 1 and No. 3
Heerenfan

Picked up my first non-prefix rifle yesterday

Post by Heerenfan »

And she is a thing of beauty! S/N 1668, in AHS configuration, .308 Win and in very good condition with excellent wood. I would say she was a safe queen for years, so she is getting her long-awaited spa treatment and Ballistol exfoliation. (You're soaking in it!)

She did come with an older set of horizontally split rings and an older Weaver fixed 4 power. In my readings here it seems that a set of vertically split rings would be correct for this rifle. For collector value, how important would they be?

Also, unfortunately, the rear sight has been removed and did not come with the rifle. Are the new manufacturer sights the same dovetail dimensions? I feel like a more period correct sight would be proper on a lady of this lineage, or should I just order a new sight and call it good?
Brass Frame

Re: Picked up my first non-prefix rifle yesterday

Post by Brass Frame »

Congratulations on a fine example of an early Ruger NO.1 rifle. You are correct that a set of Vertical split rings would be correct for you your rifle's vintage. They are not easy to find and seldom seen separate from an early No.1. You might put a comment in this forum for a WANTED AD? The correct open rear sight is another parts problem. Could have been removed when an earlier scope was installed. I can not answer your question about differences between today's sights and those thought to be original.
You have a great start to becoming a collector of Ruger rifles! Brass Frame/Lee E
Heerenfan

Post by Heerenfan »

Thanks, Lee! I appreciate your information, and I will post a wanted ad for the rings.

The collection is growing, slowly but surely. I have my eye on another No. 1 already...
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

the rings you have might be the correct rings for that gun. you can't go by serial number for year of manufacture. I have lower S/Ns than that and were manufactured in 1969. which would have horizontal rings. To know for sure get a letter from ruger....they stopped using vertical rings in early 68...
the current rear sights have the same dove tail but the sight markings are different. Great rifle either way, I've been looking for an AHS for 10 years and still haven't seen one for sale..
Heerenfan

Post by Heerenfan »

Great info, thanks! I was hoping you'd chime in; I've read your posts (and become quite envious of your gun room) and learned a great deal.

I was very lucky to find this rifle, especially since the AHS configuration is my favorite. I was planning on writing Ruger, now I will definitely make that happen.

Thanks again.
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

post some pictures if you can
Heerenfan

Post by Heerenfan »

Not the best pics, but my phone doesn't take a very sharp photo. Could be a loose nut behind the buttplate.

67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

That's one slick No. 1, something to be proud of, thanks for sharing.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

for your first, that is an awesome gun of a life time and a very rare configuration (I dream of finding one someday). According to the late Carl Ross (also a ROCS member) who kept track of non prefixes, he knew of 9 that existed and projected, based on statistics, that 33 where ever made. Currently, ROCS member "ROWDY" has his data base and could tell you if it is one of the known gun serial numbers..."Rowdy" has been my mentor for Non Prefix collecting for many years now. I can PM his email to you if you have interest...
Heerenfan

Post by Heerenfan »

Yes, please do PM Rowdy's info as I would love to see what he knows about the serial number.

I sent to Ruger for a Letter of Authenticity and will share that info with you when I get it.

This rifle has provided a great deal of enjoyment and education for me.