RUGER TARGET GREY

Red Labels, Woodside, Gold Labels and Trap Guns
SPAS 15

RUGER TARGET GREY

Post by SPAS 15 »

I have been fortunate enough to find and purchase a Ruger Red Label Target Grey. This is now the fourth Red Label in my collection. Having missed buying two previous Target Grey shotguns when i found this one i just could not let it go.

This one i found in Denmark and imported it into the UK. Before finding the Target Grey i spoke to Viking Arms who are the UK distributors for Ruger firearms. Having only ever seen two other Red Label Target Grey shotguns for sale and knowing that the Red Labels were discontinued i asked them if they knew where there might be existing stock.

They replied telling me that they had no records of where the shotguns would of been sold but they did inform me that they only imported three of them into the country. One was owned by one of their sales staff and was not for sale and the other two i had missed when they had come up for sale. Not knowing if anybody else as imported one that potentially makes mine only the fourth one in the UK and Red Labels are quite rare here anyway.

It is fitted with 30” barrels and the serial No. is 411-67214 which i believe makes it manufactured 2004-2005. I look forward to shooting it soon. Hope you like the photos.
Attachments
IMG_1498.JPG
IMG_1495.JPG
IMG_1491.JPG
Watertender

Re: RUGER TARGET GREY

Post by Watertender »

SPAS15 that is a great looking shotgun. To have 4 Red Labels is a very nice collection. Are you allowed to keep them in your possession or do they have to be kept at a sportsmans club?
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
SPAS 15

Post by SPAS 15 »

Thank you Watertender for your comments.

Shotguns in the UK come under two categories, Section 2 and Section 1. To possess either type of shotgun background checks are thorough and references are required from none family members who have known you for more than two years. Your doctor is also questioned on your medical history.

Section 2 shotguns are held on a Shotgun Certificate and are the type most widely owned. They can be any action as long as it has a capacity of no more than three cartridges. They also have to have a barrel no less than 24" and the overall length can be no shorter than 40". You can keep them at home and own as many as you like as long as you can store them securely. You do not need a reason to own these or permission from land owners as clay pigeon clubs are numerous. You can buy and sell these to anyone who as a Shotgun Certificate as long as you do it face to face or transfer through a gun shop and you do not need to reapply to purchase another to replace one you may of sold. I own eleven shotguns complying to these regulations and have space for at least three more which will hopefully will include a Woodside and a Gold Label.

My firearms cabinet holds a combination of 19 shotguns and firearms with as mentioned room for three more. If i wish to purchase more shotguns than my cabinet will hold then i have to purchase another cabinet.

Section 1 shotguns are held on a Firearms Certificate and can have a capacity of more than three cartridges held either in a tube or a detachable magazine such as a Franchi SPAS 15, hence my forum nickname as i own one. You cannot own as many of these shotguns as you like as you have to have a genuine reason to possess them. Permission to posses them is usually granted for avian vermin, crop protection, practical shotgun or target shooting. For avian vermin you need permission from a land owner where crops need to be protected and Section 1 shotguns cannot usually be used for such as clay pigeon shooting. The maximum you can possess is normally two but if you have good reason you can own more, but not many more. If you sell one of these types of shotguns you have to reapply to be able to replace it and again give a genuine reason. I own three shotguns complying to these regulations and have permission to purchase one more.

Sorry if my reply is a bit long winded but the regulations over here are complicated.
Last edited by SPAS 15 on Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Thank You SPAS-15! That explains things in great detail. It's always nice to be able to know the laws that effect someone. I'm glad you have the chance to own firearms and keep them at home.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Great story and a fine shotgun. I am happy for you!!
Bill
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

That shotgun is BEAUTIFUL! I love the modern gracefulness. Thank you for the photos and education on UK law.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Simon your article in the new ROCS Digest is a thing of BEAUTY! Thank you for writing such a fine piece.
SPAS 15

Post by SPAS 15 »

Thank you for your kind words Watertender and I am glad you like the article. I cannot wait to receive mine and actually see it in print.
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

Yes, great article in the Digest, I should be as focused and persistent as you! Never knew about the Target Grey RL, did have a Target Grey Frontier M77 that went down the road for something else I had to have. Wish I still had it sometimes.
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Great article and read SPAS! It does sadden me that you have to go through such a rigorous and invasive process to own shotguns. If that's what you've got to do I understand and would do the same. Your story is a true testament to your enthusiasm and persistence. It has paid off as you've acquired some beautiful Red Labels and sparked my interest in the Target Greys too!
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber