Re: Ruger Corp Drills

Post by gunman42782 »

Cool!
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Wow, a box for the straight handle drill, I have never seen one of those!!
Bill
Brass Frame

Post by Brass Frame »

Don, great stuff that most Ruger collectors do not know. They were very unique for their time. Brass Frame/Lee E
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

I have one of the pistol grip drills like the one in the left foreground of the picture. It's a very well made tool that was ahead of it's time. Showed it to a couple of retired tool & die makers & they were impressed. One of them is a shooter & we were discussing the various .22 pistols & the manufacturing methods used to make them. Bill Ruger made 2 pieces of stamped sheetmetal & a piece of steel tube take the place of a solid block of steel requiring well over 100 machining operations. Where a Colt or High Standard needed the slide handfitted to the receiver rails Ruger made his bolt cycle in a round tube using the ejector & bolt stop pin as guides. Is it any wonder that the pistols Bill Ruger invented & made put the other makers out of business?
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

Don, you never cease to amaze me, thanks for posting another great part of Ruger history! Is this in your most recent book, or did I just miss seeing it there?