Mikhail Kalashnikov

d findley

Mikhail Kalashnikov

Post by d findley »

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Bill Ruger were good friends. On a visit to Ruger's home Mikhail presented these pieces of art to Mr. Ruger. The other guy in the pictures is his interrupter, Valerie Shilling. The short fellow is Kalashnikov.
Attachments
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
Rugerologist

Re: Mikhail Kalashnikov

Post by Rugerologist »

The hits just keep on coming!
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

That is cool, Bill with Mr. AK himself!! Thanks for posting Don.
Bill
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

That is neat indeed. I had read someplace that Bill Ruger presented Mikhail Kalashnikov with one of the Stainless RST4's that were produced to end the MK1-Standard run. 2 of the most influential gun makers of all time for sure.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

Thx Don, got a couple pics of Kalashnikov with Stoner clipped from gun mags
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

Very interesting, I learn something new every time you post.

O M CRAZY aka Vince
Fox Mike

Post by Fox Mike »

What is the 'story' of the paintings? The first photo is a man in a suit and tie, the next is a religious one.
Frank
Retired: 67Z5M
NRA
Maryland Shall Issue
d findley

Post by d findley »

Not sure. These photos are "not too good" copies. What you see is what was sent to me. I'd like to have the originals, but.
talusjumper

Post by talusjumper »

Ah, thanks for the memories! I was there when Kalashnikov visited Ruger (Ruger's office was just down the hall) and got to shake his hand. He handed out lapel pins of the newly-adopted Russian flag that replaced the old USSR hammer-and-sickle (I still have it somewhere). It was striking how gentle and kind he was, if you didn't know better- you would think he was any average guy, not the most influential gun designer of the 2nd half of the 20th century.
rugerguy

Post by rugerguy »

we were at the NRA convention then I believe it was 1992 and my friend Gary Johnson retired Shaker Hts PD ( Wrote for SOS) introduced me to MR K. and BIll Ruger was there , of course he knew of my wife from the RCA as a 'rep' for Ohio.....from what I recall there was scuttle butt as to MR K and Bill Ruger "renaming" one of the ammo cartridges, but that did NOT happen. Again sorry to say we did not, nor had any pictures taken for us it was "just a job" representing the OGCA at the convention back then....I do recall the elevator ride in the hotel with I believe was Karl Malone of the Utah Jazz basketball team,,NICE guy and BIG!!!! 8-) :roll: ;)