Original Max prototypes

Coogs

Original Max prototypes

Post by Coogs »

20211114_092031.jpg
These are 3 of the "Original" Maximum prototypes. Standard .357 Mag Blackhawks with the barrel protrusion into the fame milled down so that the new cylinder is +.200 The barrel/cylinder gap is now literally a cylinder/frame gap. When Ruger started toying with the idea of the Maximum round they started with a 1.490 case length, testing it in these prototypes. According to David when Ruger realized the potential of the round they settled on the 1.605 case length. All of these prototypes I've seen, yes there may be as many as 6 more out there, are all fitted with Super grip frames and either a standard 6 1/2" barrel or a 10 1/2" barrel. Just as a side note, Bill Jr. was the one who came up with the name "Maximum"
T.A. Workman

Re: Original Max prototypes

Post by T.A. Workman »

Coogs,
Thanks for sharing your research. I also learned today that Savage made their 24V combo in 20 gauge / .357 Max. never realized they offered that combo. ;) |

Terry
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

VERY cool.
Great post. Thanks.
I had always thought of the Hawkeye .256 Win Mag was the "Edsel" of Rugers.
It might still be, but the Maximums are just as cool.

Cheers,
Jay
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

Amazed to learn of 24V in 357 Max, two nickels to rub together, early married, used to look at those in the Montgomery Wards catalog, could never afford one then :|

First CF revolver I ever got: choice 375 Max, SW Model 19, went with the latter, nickel plated, no regrets, lovely example of a classic
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

These are wonderful drool-worthy pieces and I appreciate you sharing. I still don't have a Maximum in the collection. That one has eluded me for quite some time.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
contender

Post by contender »

Great pic Jack. It's the little details of such things that makes collecting so much fun!
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Really happy that you have those Coogs. Thanks for the info about the Maxs too.
Bill