When Lightning Strikes

Marksman

Re: When Lightning Strikes

Post by Marksman »

contender wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:43 pm Love them Hawkeyes!

And if you seek ammo,,, original factory stuff isn't cheap. But if you desire to have some ammo made from .357 brass,, it's easier. I do it for my shooter Hawk. Contact me if you want to get some brass worked over. I have the proper dies & an annealer just for it.
Thank you, I will keep that in mind.
RugerfanAustria

Post by RugerfanAustria »

I would also like to have one of those 3000 "unicorns" for Ruger fans, but I will probably never get one. That's why I'm very grateful to you for letting me participate with your pictures and I'm happy with you and for you about your Hawkeye.

Best regards
Marksman

Post by Marksman »

RugerfanAustria wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:50 pm I would also like to have one of those 3000 "unicorns" for Ruger fans, but I will probably never get one. That's why I'm very grateful to you for letting me participate with your pictures and I'm happy with you and for you about your Hawkeye.

Best regards
Thank you for your kind words. You should visit the U.S. and make sure you come to the biggest gun show in the world: http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com/homem.html

When my dad came to visit from Germany, I took him to our local gun show back in the 90's. He was completely stunned about our freedom to own and use firearms.
Back then there were very few private citizens officially allowed to have weapons in their homes.
The next time I visited him in Germany he pulled out his illegal Walther PPK with a smile and asked me to show him how to clean it. :o
rugerguy

Post by rugerguy »

thats a nice one Marksman, and no there are not a lot of them out there,,,I was very lucky a few years ago when our late friend Don W passed away he had picked one up for me, knew we had a couple of number #31 guns and I got it from the family........note Ruger took their time when they mixed and poured the "batch" for the casting........

JIm Hoobler told us years ago, the batch had to be consistant and well mixed to avoid the 'streaks" ( lightning effect).........
MY wifes family was originally from Austria from back in the early 1920s, neat story as to your visit to Dad in Germany....we like that 8-) :roll: ;)
Marksman

Post by Marksman »

rugerguy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:04 pm thats a nice one Marksman, and no there are not a lot of them out there,,,I was very lucky a few years ago when our late friend Don W passed away he had picked one up for me, knew we had a couple of number #31 guns and I got it from the family........note Ruger took their time when they mixed and poured the "batch" for the casting........

JIm Hoobler told us years ago, the batch had to be consistant and well mixed to avoid the 'streaks" ( lightning effect).........
MY wifes family was originally from Austria from back in the early 1920s, neat story as to your visit to Dad in Germany....we like that 8-) :roll: ;)
That's a beautiful Hawkeye you have, it looks like the finish is flawless on your gun. Glad you confirmed our hunch that the lightning is a result of insufficient blending/mixing. That appeared to be the most logical explanation. Maybe I will look for one more flawless Hawkeye. Thanks for showing the #31 Hawkeye it's a beauty.
rugerguy

Post by rugerguy »

Don't be too concerned as the "streaks" ( even plum) are defects in the casting process, they are still like a "badge of honor" and appreciated by Ruger collectors, kinda makes them "stand out"....sent you a PM 8-) ;) :roll:
RugerfanAustria

Post by RugerfanAustria »

rugerguy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:04 pm
Then I'm not the only Austrian here. :D