Hi from Oregon Wine Country

outta_ammo

Hi from Oregon Wine Country

Post by outta_ammo »

I just found and joined the forum and the society. I had previously found the RCA site but it seemed like kind of a ghost town...

I'm 68 and live in McMinnville, OR with my amazing wife of over 40 years. I've been a gun guy since I was 10 when I got my first BB gun from my parents who were NOT gun people but understood and indulged my interest. I've had a number of Rugers over the years but was never "into" them.

I was bit by the S&W bug a couple of years ago and have been slowly accumulating examples. Then my older brother sent me his mint 1962 Single Six Convertible (I lettered it), and I got Wilson's book on Ruger (at least he didn't commit fraud on Rugers like he did Colt.), then Dougan's "Vintage Years" book. Oh great, now I'm hooked!

Looking forward to wallowing in the Ruger mud now! I'd appreciate any suggestions on Ruger books I should get. I have Dougan's engraving book and Kuhnhausn's shop manual on my list. I have a couple of dozen S&W books...
flattop44

Re: Hi from Oregon Wine Country

Post by flattop44 »

Welcome aboard, we are happy that you have joined us here on the website. Also thank you for joining ROCS, we will have some of our publications headed to you shortly. I suggest that you get Dougan's latest book, "Ruger Pistols and Revolvers", the Vintage Years 1949 - 1973". Also "Ruger and His Guns", by R. L. Wilson. Then Don Findley's "Ruger Papers", and "Sturm" and others by Don. Don Findley's and Chad Hiddleston's books on Ruger Auto Pistols. Don has a new book on "Legendary Gun Writers from the Past" advertised for sale here on the website. It is full of interesting facts and history about these men.

There are others that I am sure other members will tune in about.

Again welcome aboard!!

Bill
SPAS 15

Post by SPAS 15 »

Welcome from the U.K.
arcticruger

Post by arcticruger »

Howdy and welcome to the board! Image
gunman42782

Post by gunman42782 »

Welcome from KY!
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

Glad to have you join us, the books Bill mentioned are a must for your library when it comes to Rugers. Be careful, it's addictive and crazy amount of routes you can follow collecting them.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
outta_ammo

Post by outta_ammo »

Thanks for the welcome. So, since I already have the most recent Dougan book and the R.L. Wilson books it looks like I have 4 Ruger books to go currently totaling roughly $475:

Compliments of Col. Ruger: A Study of Factory Engraved Single Action Revolvers
Bill Ruger’s .22 Pistol
The Ruger Papers
Ruger Single Action Revolvers: A Shop Manual, Volumes 1 & 2

That's not too bad considering I have about $1,200 in 24 S&W books with 6 to go totaling about $650.

I've always been a 'get the book first' guy but I have to admit I'm highly tempted to go off the rails.

Looking forward to hanging out here!

Any other http://smith-wessonforum.com folks here?
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

Another great resource from our member chet15 (Chad Hiddleson) is a subscription to Red Eagle News Exchange which covers information on all of Ruger's offerings. And his book "Encyclopedia of Ruger Semi-Automatic Rimfire Pistols 1949-1992. These are a must have in my opinion if you're hunting information on those early Rugers.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Welcome to the fun! This is the greatest group of people you will ever meet. I just spent 3 enjoyable days with them in Ohio and I consider them family. Post away and join in. If it concerns Ruger, it is here. The shared knowledge among the members is amazing and all are willing to help. If you have a question, there will be an answer... I have nothing really rare and am more of an owner than serious collector, so we all have a part in ROCS. We are glad to have you join us.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
RugerfanAustria

Post by RugerfanAustria »

Welcome