Ruger Hornet

dct454

Ruger Hornet

Post by dct454 »

Well I posted in bolt .lever ,and auto section about a Ruger M77 Hornet I ran into and decided to buy it. Took it to my range and bore sited it at 50yd. Decided to go ahead and shoot it at 50 then move to 100. I had several loads that I have used in a Savage 340 Hornet that group dime size at 100. Worst shooting Ruger I have ever bought. Best group I got was 1" at 50 with a 3 inch flyer, the two other loads were 2 to 3 inches with a flyer in each group. The flyer was 2 to 3 inches beyond the 2 to 3 inch group. Did some reading and it seems these models are very hit and miss for accuracy. Doing some research now on how to remedy the problem. Anyone Have similar problems? :cry:
Dave

67stingray

Re: Ruger Hornet

Post by 67stingray »

Dave, the M77 Rimfire rifles have a 2 piece bolt and some require installation of bolt shims between the two pieces. You can get a pack of different thickness shims for around $20. I have found improvements on accuracy after installing them. Glass bedding the stock is another way of improving accuracy. They are typically pretty accurate rifles but some need a little attention that's not that expensive.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.

dct454

Re: Ruger Hornet

Post by dct454 »

Bennett, I did some research today and found the same suggestions you mentioned. Another cure is to tighten the action screws to 80 inch pounds. Then alternately slightly tightening and loosening the front and rear screws while shooting three shot groups.I ordered the the bolt shims witch will be my first step. Thanks for the suggestions I am going to try each, one at a time to see what works or what combination works.
Thank You
Dave