Advice on Ruger Rings please

RocDoc

Advice on Ruger Rings please

Post by RocDoc »

Have a 30mm tube 50mm scope on the way for a No. 1S. ShopRuger says 5B high 52mm; 4B medium 42mm. Am I stuck with having to go high rings? Can the medium rings work even if minimal clearance?
RoninPA

Re: Advice on Ruger Rings please

Post by RoninPA »

My thoughts
Here's what I saw on ShopRuger for a 1S No. 1
Scope Tube Diameter Scope Objective Diameter Scope Height Front Scope Ring Rear Scope Ring
30MM 52MM 30MM High 5B30 5B30

The mediums are for a 42mm objective lens to provide the clearance between the scope, receiver and barrel. A 50mm scope with the 4B30 rings might be getting pretty close if not touching the receiver/barrel. Worse case is to order the 4B30's and if it doesn't fit right send them back and get the 5B30's.

And of course, the spacing on the response doesn't convert when you submit.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

Thank you for your post. I was hoping someone who has the actual setup described might be able to share their experience about the possibility of using the medium rings for the intended application. Know Ruger will trade new rings, and buying new ones pretty inexpensive.
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

ok did some measurements for you on my 1S guns. this is with 1" tube not 30 mm, that said I would assume the the centerline height of the scope would be the same regardless with same height rings. the barrel to objective clearance with 5 rings and a 40 mm objective is 1/2". the difference in height between a 4 and 5 ring is about an 1/8". being 10 mm difference in our objective lenses would mean the 50 mm lens would sit 5mm lower or about 0.200". so starting with the .500" clearance less the scope ring height difference .125" and less the objective lens difference .200" would mean you would still have about .125" (1/8") barrel to objective clearance. that's pretty tight and if your objective lens has an AO ring for parallax it might interfere. one other thing to note is that the scope bell must be positioned forward of the quarter rib also.. hope this helps best I can do as I don't have any 50 mm scopes on my no 1s....
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

Thanks for your efforts Zebra! I will try the mediums, no AO so will see how it goes. Normally do not like the 50s, but on a 24 inch 1S it might be just right.