Nice Mini-30. Fun to shoot.
Bill
Ruger8r

Re: Ruger Mini 30

Post by Ruger8r »

Here's my littlle zombie gun:
20200329_152803.jpg
20200329_152722.jpg
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Cool looking Mini 30, I like the Scout scope look.
Bill
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

looks good
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Thanks Guys,
Besides the Ulti-Mak forward rail with a Burris 2.7x long eye relief scope and the Accuracy Systems barrel brace, here are some other improvements:

A shock buffer guiets the action a bit and prevents shock damage to the receiver.

As you may know, a stock mini 30 slings brass into the next county. Some put a heavier recoil spring on, which works but then the action is very stiff and it's a pain to reassemble. The other solution is to install a reduced gas port, which is harder to do but worth it. Mine now drops cases about 10 feet away at about 2 o'clock. It also lessens the shock to the receiver.

I occasionally had to help the bolt forward into battery when firing. Drove me crazy until I discovered that most of the aftermarket 10-rd mags (Ruger didn't make one at that time) had sharp inside edges from stamping and were dragging on the tapered cases. Took a file to those and problem solved.

Shims, a lighter sear spring and a shoe have improved the trigger immensely. Must be about 2 lbs pull cuz it just needs a tap.

I recrowned the barrel at 11°. With all that the best I have been able to shoot is about a 4-inch spread at 100 yds. It's a little disappointing but still a blast to run.

By the way, I believe the best ammo for the money is Sellier & Bellot 123(4) g fmj. Lucky I just got a case before things went nuts. Again.

Owen
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Owen, That is a good looking rifle. The work you did on it is interesting. I know about the fired cases being flung quite a distance with other firearms. The "Hot Brass Dance" has been done by many people including myself. There are lyrics to that dance but they are not printable here!
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Thanks, again, Watertender.
I have way too much $$ in the gun. I forgot to mention the Hogue over-molded stock. And then there are the various sight options I tried before settling on the Burris. But hey, I'm having fun.
I sometimes get the hairy eyeball from the guy on my right at the range until he sees how it drops brass.
O
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Way cool!!
Good looking gun.
I like the stainless look with the black synthetic stock.

It just so happens, I picked up my first mini 30 this weekend.
Like I really need one :roll:
My pusher.....( FFL :lol: ) emailed and said " git over here"

I arrived just in time for happy hour, :o and the negotiations began.
He said "Yer a Ruger guy, you need this!"
I have learned in the past that during the first couple of pops he has the advantage :oops:
Despite his cheap whisky, if I wait him out & flash some Benjamin's.......the advantage swings in my favor!!

Well...It made it across the road to the vault in the side X side before the wife got home :D
It looks never fired and was almost as cheap as his liquor.
I don't even have any ammo for it?!??!??
BUT like he said "Yer a Ruger guy and you need this!"

I'm thinking 10 days and a couple 2 day follow ups and I will be fine.......... :shock: 8-)

Cheers,
JAY
Attachments
SAM_1200.JPG
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker