Ruger Hornet

dct454

Re: Ruger Hornet

Post by dct454 »

Turns out I lost track of my own thread. The rifle will only shoot decent groups with the bullets seated out .015 off the lands. This makes the OAL too long for the rotary magazine, turning the gun into a single shot basically. Not what I had hoped for. I have come to the unhappy conclusion that the hornet case and factory chamber with a too long throat are not conducive to accuracy. It's a beautiful gun just not very accurate. Down the road it goes.
Dave
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Thanks for the update. Yeah, short of re-chambering, there's probably no hope for accuracy improvement. Some have upgraded to K-Hornet in the process.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
dct454

Post by dct454 »

I thought about doing that since I have a K Hornet reamer but decided not to. This gun was a target gray finish and laminated stock. Beautiful gun in perfect condition, just couldn't do it. Sold it and decided to build a Blackhawk bisley revolver in 7 shot 22K Hornet. Just something different.
Dave
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Smart move. Probably would have only lead to heartbreak.
Now that IS different. A Single Seven Hornet. Me likey.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
dct454

Post by dct454 »

I picked up a used new model Blackhawk last month
For the hornet build. Decided on a 12inch barrel length half octagon half round. Got a bisley grip frame, trigger,and hammer for it and I'm in the process of fitting the grip to the cylinder frame. Gotta make the cylinder and chamber it yet. I would like to have it ready to shoot by the end of Sept. We'll see, life gets in the way sometimes.