New Mini 14

Marksman

New Mini 14

Post by Marksman »

Hello,
As my open sight days are fading fast, I am learning to like scoped rifles. I sighted in my new Mini 14 today and noticed that the factory brass was dented and the slide marked.
Is there anything I can do to avoid beating up the brass and the rifle? I don't have that problem shooting my Ruger American. Thanks for your input. See the pictures below:
Receiver Slide R.jpg
Receiver Slide R.jpg (36.63 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
Attachments
Shell R.jpg
Shell R.jpg (42.48 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
JAYDAWG

Re: New Mini 14

Post by JAYDAWG »

Mike,
All of my AR's do the same thing. I can actually tell which gun the brass came out of by the location of the dent!
As long as I full length resize the brass when reloading I have not had any problems shooting it again.
Cheers,
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
gunman42782

Post by gunman42782 »

It's common for the Mini 14 to do that. At least everyone I ever owned did. About the only thing you could do that might keep it from happening is use smaller gas port bushings, such as these:
https://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/ ... ng-Kit.php

That should help with the brass getting beat up so bad, and keep it from going 30 feet when it ejects. The brass may still hit your charging handle though.
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
Marksman

Post by Marksman »

JAYDAWG wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:32 am Mike,
All of my AR's do the same thing. I can actually tell which gun the brass came out of by the location of the dent!
As long as I full length resize the brass when reloading I have not had any problems shooting it again.
Cheers,
JAY
Good to know Jay, I like rifle otherwise. The link from gunman42782 below is a good option. The trigger certainly needs some help too. Mike
Marksman

Post by Marksman »

gunman42782 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:53 am It's common for the Mini 14 to do that. At least everyone I ever owned did. About the only thing you could do that might keep it from happening is use smaller gas port bushings, such as these:
https://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/ ... ng-Kit.php

That should help with the brass getting beat up so bad, and keep it from going 30 feet when it ejects. The brass may still hit your charging handle though.
Thank you for the link, the trigger definitely needs some help too. I think I will send my trigger group to Accuracy Systems and order the addl. gas ports. That should make the Mini 14 a keeper. Mike