I can't find the problem with my O.M. Single Six

Marksman

Re: I can't find the problem with my O.M. Single Six

Post by Marksman »

THAT WAS THE PROBLEM.
I took a hammer and cylinder pawl from a 1956 LW gun and tried it in the 1954 gun. It works perfectly, except the cylinder bore alignment could use a little improvement (but that will come later). Now I will check Brownell's for a replacement plunger (R41) and a plunger spring (R43). Hope I get lucky and it's available.
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Yep....you figured it out.
Good for you!
Always fun to fix it on your own, at least for me, I always learn a lot.
Now I will log this in my brain for things to look for with a hammer problem.
Thanks for posting.

Cheers,
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Marksman

Post by Marksman »

Jay,
I agree, it's always fun when things turn out well. Now I can't find the parts at Brownell's. The chase continues :arrow:
BTW: I have more guns that need fixing :lol:
Mike
SteveRuger

Post by SteveRuger »

I have some Parts!
Steve
Steve
GUN COLLECTORS.......Stewards of America's Firearms Heritage!
God Bless Our Troops, Especially Our Snipers!
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

From what I see, you might want to replace the complete hammer, the one in the photo looks kinda worn. Although it's for a super single six, this one looks like a direct replacement, the one listed for the OM Single Six shows out of stock.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufa ... per-sngl-6

Or, give Ruger a call and explain and they might be able to find it for you.

However, if you can get it out, you should be able to clean it, the spring and the hole it goes into and get it working again. If you have a dremel and some accessories you can do it. I've cleaned up worse looking parts on some Rugers and they are still working fine.

Start by using a small punch and hammer and push it in to loosen it. Use some penetrating oil and work it back and forth and it will come out. Then clean it up with a wire brush in the dremel and find an exact fit drill bit to clean the hole.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Mike,
Here is a pic of a Ruger parts manual from 1995 & they do not show the parts available then, as they were trying to convert all the OM guns to the transfer bar system which of course came with a new hammer.
I would be surprised if some one has just the new parts you need, but then nothing much surprises me about the ROCS forum any more!!
Try what Ron said or PM Steve. I bet he has what you need, even if it's a complete hammer.

Cheers,
JAY
Attachments
SAM_1338.JPG
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Marksman

Post by Marksman »

Thank you all!
I will try to save the hammer, the plunger will not budge (although I tried to loosen it anyway possible). There is a roll pin right above the plunger/spring assembly. I think I will need to drive that pin out in order to free the plunger/spring assembly. I tried a brass punch, it started to deform. I tried a steel punch next and had no luck with that either. Does anyone know, if that pin needs to be removed in order to free the plunger/spring assembly?
JussBad

Post by JussBad »

Marksman
If you PM me your address I will drop a complete hammer assembly in the mail to you. Your hammer also looks like it has a broken (or chipped) notch. I would replace the complete hammer.

Gary
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

Marksman wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:45 pm Thank you all!
I will try to save the hammer, the plunger will not budge (although I tried to loosen it anyway possible). There is a roll pin right above the plunger/spring assembly. I think I will need to drive that pin out in order to free the plunger/spring assembly. I tried a brass punch, it started to deform. I tried a steel punch next and had no luck with that either. Does anyone know, if that pin needs to be removed in order to free the plunger/spring assembly?
Guess the same function on a new model which I have experience with, that pin on the hammer captures the plunger, so yes it must come out to remove the plunger. I had to make a little tool with a hook on it to pull a stuck spring once the plunger came out in one instance
Marksman

Post by Marksman »

Great, I will try to remove the pin again, Thanks